Twenty-five ~ Birthday

Mia couldn't have given me a more perfect gift for my birthday.

She'd filled a frame with photos of the two of us. On some of them we were smiling, on others we were pulling ridiculous faces. In all of them, though, I looked happy. A selfie on top of the lighthouse, drunken poses at parties, experimental shots whilst sunbathing on the beach: she'd captured our developing friendship over the course of the summer. It was one of the most touching presents I'd ever received.

"Mia, it's perfect," I said, my fingers tracing the pictures. "Thank you."

"Have you had a nice day, then?" she asked. "Did Alastair get in touch?"

After placing the frame on my bedside table, I scooped up my keys. "Yeah, just a quick message."

I ran her through my day as we headed to the beach, explaining that I'd Skyped my dad and it had been great to have some dedicated family time—albeit through a computer—that didn't involve business. With Mum more chilled out now that her work was over, and Dad not mentioning life in London at all, my Camberley bubble remained intact.

As usual, Mia and I were the last to arrive at the beach, and it was a source of amusement among the boys.

"Late for your own party?" Austin shouted across to us as we clambered down the stone steps. "Poor form, Rosie."

I laughed and extended my arms for a hug as we got closer. He swept me up in a tight squeeze before setting me down on the sand. As he released me, he placed his standard two kisses on my cheeks.

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks." I smiled.

We chatted for a few minutes, Austin keen to know if I had any local gossip to share from the wedding, until a shadow fell over us.

"Are you going to monopolise the birthday girl's attention, or can I have my turn now?" Brent asked.

Austin rolled his eyes, throwing his arm around Mia's shoulder to lead her towards the basket of drinks. I turned my gaze onto Brent and smiled.

"Happy birthday." He smiled back—a small smile, but a smile nonetheless.

"Thanks. Glad you could come."

"You'll be happy to know that I've left my inner lifeguard at home," he said. "However, I would appreciate it if you refrain from stepping beyond the chair this evening."

I smiled in amusement but nodded. "Sure."

"Also, I got you something."

I hadn't noticed him holding anything, but then he produced a bottle of wine from behind his back. Surprised and touched that he'd chosen to buy me something, I couldn't help but let my smile widen as I read the label.

"Pinot Grigio."

"I'll admit I'm no wine expert, but Mia assured me it was good quality."

I laughed. "Maybe I'll also refrain from drinking it tonight. We all know what happens when I get too drunk off Pinot Grigio..."

The edges of his lips curved upwards as our gazes locked, both remembering that evening all too well...

"Thank you," I said. "You needn't have."

He shrugged. "I wanted to. And you're right, we've both seen how much you enjoy it."

"Rest assured, this one will be drunk to be enjoyed, not to get completely wasted."