111 - The Calm Before The Storm

Training with Merlin has been very fruitful. I have some tricks of my own now to use against Kurobei.

I've experimented with pure mana and how it affects souls. What I've learned is that I can't directly touch souls.

I'm blocked. Merlin let me experiment on her, and I couldn't touch her soul. Yet Kurobei was able to pull it out.

It has to be due to that book of his, his Arcana Medea. Medea is known as a witch, so having a spell to remove a soul doesn't seem too surprising.

But that makes it more difficult for me. I can't directly get their souls, so I either need Kurobei to do it for me (highly unlikely) or bet on the idea that I can grab the soul once they're free form the body.

It's a risk, but it's one I will take. If I can kill Kurobei and quickly snatch up their souls, I could likely hold them until I can get them back to their rightful bodies.

Overall, I feel much more prepared. I've been sparring, training, experimenting, and getting ready.

The others have also been preparing. They come to the Dojo for most hours of the day to help me train and also get stronger themselves.

Currently I was sparring against Erica.

She swung her fist at me, which I easily sidestepped and deflected by pushing to the side. She sent a kick next which I easily blocked with my arm.

I sent a punch towards her gut, which she twisted her body to avoid. Quickly getting broth her feet on the ground she ducked under a haymaker aimed for her head.

She sent an uppercut which I spun around, sending kick into her back and her sprawling onto the floor.

"Why are you always challenging me to hand-in-hand fights..." I sweatdropped.

"I'll beat you one day.." Erica groaned, flopping over.

"One day...so a couple years, at least?" I grinned, extending my hand.

"You asshole." Erica giggled, grabbing my hand and pulling herself up.

"I wish I was the one kicked..." I heard Yui mutter, as masochistically thirsty as usual.

Ignoring her, I turned to Irene. "Hey, any news yet?"

"No, nothing has happened yet." Irene shook her head.

I've been having Irene check in hour increments per day. Whenever it happens, it's going to be sudden and we'll need to quickly get to the Demon King's point of entry.

Since the seal isn't actually a seal, we can't actually use it until the Demon King returns. Creating a portal to the Void will be useful if the person we want to trap inside is currently there.

However, the fact that he's going to make it out makes me uneasy. I can't help but think that putting him in once more won't work too well.

He's already going to be getting out once, so I'm sure he'll be able to do it again. It's just...how long until then? Well, it's our only plan, and it's better than nothing.

"Hey...Merlin..?" Erica panted.

"Yes?" Merlin asked, turning away from the book to look at Erica.

"If the 'seal' is just a device to punch a hole through to the void, then what keeps the Demon King there?" She asked. "Because Aoi told us that some of the monsters come from where the Demon King is, which would be the void."

Aoi nodded in confirmation.

"I believe it's because the Demon King is just that powerful." Merlin sighed. "Normal rifts aren't powerful enough, they'd collapse if he tried to go through them, and being stuck in between dimensions is certain death."