4. Third Year

For his friends, the day went like usual. For Draco, it was hell.
He had to walk from floor to floor acting like it didn't bother him at all. During the meals, he ate almost nothing, just enough not to worry Pansy and Blaise.

When the time came, Draco headed to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, careful to not be seen by anyone.
Lupin was already by the door, wearing a dark cloak and holding a spare one in his hands.

«I hope you know how to not be caught»
Draco nodded. Living at the Manor, he learned how to sneak around the house at night without his parents knowing. It had been an important skill if he wanted to eat what they said he couldn't or find a book he wasn't allowed to read.

Teacher and student moved in the dark, taking hidden tunnels and avoiding the most populated corridors. Draco asked how Lupin knew all those secret passages and the adult grinned mischievously.
«I've learned a lot of Hogwarts' secrets in my time»

When they finally reached the grounds, Lupin headed towards the Whomping Willow. Draco paused for a moment, looking in confusion at the man's back, before following along.

«Huh... Professor? Where are we going?»
«I'll show you another one of Hogwarts' secrets»

When it noticed them, the Willow started thrashing around, trying to hit them or simply send them away.

«Look closely, you will need what I'm about to show you for the rest of your years here» he raised his wand and pointed it at the base of the tree. «Can you see that knot?» Draco could, even though there was a large possibility of it going unnoticed. «You have to hit it. You can use a spell or a simple rock, it doesn't matter. Remember that Petrificus Totalus doesn't work on this kind of tree»

A small, orange firework flew out of Lupin's wand and, avoiding all the branches in the way, it hit the knot. The tree stopped moving, with one branch frozen too close for Draco's comfort.

The boy looked in shock at the tree, then at the teacher. Lupin smiled knowingly «Come on, it doesn't last long»

With quick footsteps, they reached the knot. Draco noticed a semi-covered tunnel and, before he could ask one of the thousands of questions in his head, Lupin had already crawled in.

Thinking he finally reached the point of madness, the boy followed.

«The Whomping Willow had been planted for my first year as a student» explained Lupin as they made their way through the decaying tunnel. He held his wand forward, having it lit up with a wand-lighting charm. Dirt was falling on their heads, and Draco had to pass his hand through his hair multiple times, annoyed.

«I suppose they didn't bother checking in after you left. I wouldn't be surprised if the place fell on us» the boy pushed some dirt off his shoulder.

«It is supposed to look like this. It's made to keep the students away»
Draco looked at his teacher with a disbelieving look. «Do you even know your students? The only reason they don't come here is that they don't know this place exists»

Lupin stayed in silence for a moment, and Draco could imagine he had a thoughtful look on his face. «I guess I could clean up here before next month»

The rest of the way they walked in silence and, finally, after longer than he expected, Draco saw the end of the tunnel.

They found themselves in a very old house, full of destroyed furniture and spider webs hanging from the ceiling.

«Disgusting»
Draco looked around what he thought was the living room. The couch looked like a very big cat had a fun time with it, while what remained of a table was left in the far corner of the room. The dust was so much it hurt his sensitive nose.