7. Third Year

«Everyone, come here!» exclaimed Darcy Smith, standing in front of the common room's entrance. She had been prefect for only a couple of months, but it was like she was born for the role. She looked at the students calmly, even when they didn't move an inch. Everyone stared at her, puzzled.

«The Headmaster has requested everyone to go back to the Great Hall»

Draco looked in confusion at his friends from his place near the fireplace. They had just finished the Halloween feast and, after a day of walking around Hogsmeade, the blond and his friends just wanted to relax.

«Why?» asked Jacob Thompson, a fifth-year known to help their younger housemates. Two years before he had helped Draco a great deal with his exams, making him become the second-best in his year.

Granger had been the first.

«Everything will be explained once we get there,» replied Darcy. She looked at a group of fourth years. «Can you please call the ones in the dormitories?» they nodded.

In less than five minutes, they were all in front of the entrance, waiting for Darcy to do something. She nodded at them and went out first.

When they arrived in the Great Hall, it was full of confused teenagers and concerned adults. The last to arrive were the Ravenclaws and, after the last students walked in, Professor Dumbledore talked.

«The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle,» he told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. «I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately,» he added to Percy Weasley, the Head Boy. «Send word with one of the ghosts.»

Dumbledore paused, about to leave the hall, and said, «Oh, yes, you'll be needing...» One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags. «Sleep well,» said the Headmaster, closing the door behind him.

Draco immediately searched Lupin with his eyes, finding him leaving the Hall with the other teachers. He was paler than usual and he looked incredibly nervous, almost like a muggle-born that sees a ghost for the first time.

«What is the meaning of this, Darcy?» Pansy's voice took Draco's attention from the now-closed door.
«That wasn't an explanation,» added Blaise.

Before the prefect could answer a Hufflepuff from their year, Hannah Abbott, approached them. She leaned in, making them huddle closer to hear her better.

«Sirius Black broke into the castle,» she said into a hushed whisper, earning a few gasps.

«How?» asked Draco. With dementors all around the school, it was impossible to get in.

«I don't know. Gryffindors say that he tried to get into their common room»

«Everyone into their sleeping bags!» shouted the Head Boy. «Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!»

The Slytherins said goodbye to Hannah and quickly went to grab a sleeping bag each. Once they moved to a corner far enough from people but close enough to hear interesting things, a group of first years, the ones that started the rumour of Draco dropping the Quidditch team, approached them.

He should have learned their names.

Once he noticed that they were anxiously trying to get Vincent and Gregory's attention, Blaise elbowed the latter. He grunted in response but when he saw the eleven-year-olds, he widened his eyes and tapped Vincent on the shoulder.