Prologue

The night air was tranquil, a bit chilly, but typical of Chicago. I walked out of the science laboratory empty-handed and the questions I had remained unanswered.

"Night, Nao. Did you get a hold of that book on thermodynamics?"

I looked back at Aliyah. She was picking around on her key belt. Great. I'd stayed till close, again.

"Not exactly. It's on hold until next year."

"What? I checked out a textbook from this library for two months and they didn't even threaten a penalty. They need to get someone on that."

I shrugged like it didn't matter, and smiled "No, it's alright. I think I'm going to take a step back on my research anyway."

She nodded, the look of concern not quite fading, "Maybe taking a break and coming back with fresh eyes is for the best."

"Yeah, exactly."

"Well," Aliyah jangled the door handle. "I have to finish locking up and you need to hurry back to your dorm. Tonight's a Full Moon."

I scoffed, "Believing campus rumors?"

She frowned, "It's no rumor, dear."

My tone softened, "I'll be extra careful."

Aliyah waved, "Stay safe."

"Mhm," I nodded. "You too."

I walked past stone buildings on a path lit with black, intricately designed street lights. The University of Chicago's campus was just a castle built around trees, an extension of the city. It was breathtaking, especially at this time of night when most students were inside keeping warm.

I neared a fountain that I'd walked past numerous times and lowered myself onto the concrete ledge. I set down my off-white tote bag next to the red Converse shoes I wore nearly every day and immediately thought of my mom who used to joke that these shoes were permanently attached to my feet. I reached my arms and neck to the sky for a good stretch but even behind closed lids, I could see light.

Woah.

I re-opened my eyes to the Moon, which was extraordinarily close and donning shades of cream and gray. Tiny speckles accompanied the glowing orb in the night sky. It was poetic, really, I thought to myself, the Moon outshining the stars. Aliyah had it all backwards. Why would anyone not want to experience this? It was a view worthy of being admired but it didn't matter because one truth was more real; we are afraid of what we cannot understand.

I pulled wisps of my hair out of my mouth as the wind took a harsh turn in my direction. I hadn't found any information on what made me who I am, I was a complete mystery and it terrified me. A voice whispered like it was being carried by the wind, it terrified them.

I stood up like someone had pulled me by a string, I picked up my bag and started walking back in the direction of my building but it was too late. The memories of that day returned.

"Naomi, keep trying," She licked the envelope and sealed it, laying it down with the other piles of bills. "I know you, you keep quiet and to yourself but how is anyone gonna get to know you if you don't open up."

I sighed, "It's not that easy."

My mom reached a hand over the table, "Of course it isn't but if you don't push yourself now it's only going to get harder."

She changed the subject before I could respond, "Did you print the report from the cashier? These books have to balance out or we're out of luck on phone service."