Chapter 3: Israel

"Your wolf hasn't claimed Keyana, almost as if it's fighting instincts."

I shook my head, "No, it's⎯."

"Hush, child," Akida stared me up and down, her long manicured nail shaking in disappointment. "Listen to your elder."

My father nodded to the Kinywa, "Son, I understand a lifetime commitment can seem restricting. Your mother⎯"

He chuckled,"Ah, that's not important. The point is, you care about this woman. Yes?"

"Yes, but⎯"

He waved me off, "That's what matters. Don't let something like your pride destroy Divine Matrimony. Your mother was the best thing to happen to me and this Kingdom."

"And I'm glad he knows it," My ma winked at my father then turned to me sternly. "Baby, what are you afraid of? I can only imagine it's love. You know, when I met your father, I worried about the sappy feelings I felt. I rejected him for weeks before giving in and surrendering to our connection."

My father pulled his arm around his mate, and in their eyes was love. They had been made for each other.

What was I doing wrong?

"I don't know. It's not like you and Mom, things aren't going to be easy this time."

"Easy?" My father scoffed, "Nothing about your mother is or was easy. Nothing worth having comes easy. That's what's wrong with you new pups, y'all don't want to work hard anymore."

 "Your father is a wise man, Israel," Ma snaps to Akida. "Is it almost done? Our Beta Royals will be here soon."

"Yes," Akida finished stirring her peppermint and blood mixture, smearing it onto my skin like a mask. "This should allow your animal instincts to take over."

It was an overpowering smell. Immediately, I felt a sting, like a thousand bees pulling at tender flesh. I stood up. My bones began to crack and fur sprouted along my arms. Jua Kupanda had become too small. There was an entire world I wanted to explore, places where I could run wild in forests I'd never been.

The taste of evergreen trees rested on my tongue and I saw a version of myself. I was running through uncharted territory with my teeth bared and fur sticking upright, electric sensations igniting me to unmatched speeds. This gave pull to a new life I desired. Perhaps there was still more of the world I needed to see before I became shackled to Jua Kupanda.

"Israel?" I could hear Keyana's voice from the distance. She touched my arm and I shrugged my shoulders away.

She was back again, "Israel, it's me."

I know who you are, I wanted to say. My wolf was in charge.

I growled, "Run. I have to go for a run."

Keyana laughed and the sound was like a high-pitched whistle. I held my ears painfully. The Beta Royals had arrived.

"No more of this foolishness! We've offered up our daughter, the most beautiful royal wolf in all of Jua Kupanda. Your son refuses her and insults our preparations. Akida, there better be more mixture in your decrepit brew."

Akida slammed her wooden bowl down so hard, that the smack reverberated the cavern we sat in. "Nuh mek me gi yuh a big blow-wow lick."

Nina showed the Kinywa her canines, "You forget who works for who, witch."

"Enough!" My father's baritone voice bellowed. "We ought to be grateful for our Kinywa, as she does the work we are incapable of doing ourselves."

Keyana's mother never broke her stare from Akida's, "My apologies, Alpha Akuna."