Ch. 13 Mutiny

Inside the boardroom, Giovanni looked somberly over the group.

  "Then it's unanimous," he said. "Once we reach open sea, Dr. Cyrus will be exterminated." He burst out in a fit of coughing then breathed out slowly. "It will be a relief to be free of him."

   Two Galactic guards, Spafford and Mull, stood watch outside the boardroom door with their guns drawn.

   There was a loud beep on Spafford's communicator. He turned to Mull. "It's time."

   Mull nodded. He glanced once more down the hallway and then, together, they opened the boardroom doors and walked in, closing the doors behind them.

  "Gentlemen," Giovanni said. "You'll have to leave. This meeting is still closed."

   The guards leveled their guns at the board members. "You are all under arrest. Put your hands on top of your heads. Now!"

  "What are you doing?" Giovanni asked.

   Two secretly pushed a button under the table.

  "I said, now!" Spafford repeated.

  "I suggest you drop your weapons," Two said to the guards. "I've alerted the guards."

  "Shut up!" Mull shouted. "And get on your knees and prepare to meet the admiral of the Galactic feet."

  "The admiral?" Two said.

  "Admiral Cyrus," Spafford said.

  "Have you gone raving mad?" Giovanni said.

   Then the door opened and Cyrus walked into the room. He was flanked by Brendan and Alain and followed by the three disposed board members.

  "Guards, subdue him!" Giovanni shouted, pointing at Cyrus.

   Cyrus just shook his head. "Clueless as always," he said. "They don't take orders from you." He turned to Spafford and Mull. "Well done, men."

  "Your little coup won't work," Two said. "I've alerted the guards. It's just a matter of time before you're back in the brig."

   Cyrus looked at her for a moment, then said softly, "You've alerted what guards?"

   Just then the boardroom door burst open and a dozen guards in black uniforms ran into the room. They were led by a squad captain dressed in purple.

  "Those guards," Two said. She turned to the captain. "Thank goodness you're here. Dr. Cyrus has gone rogue. Arrest him."

   The captain just looked at her, his eyes narrowing in contempt.

  "I gave you an order!" she shouted.

  "These aren't ours," Giovanni said to Two in a low voice.

  "You're correct, Giovanni," Cyrus said, looking more amused than angry. "Which, honestly, I find refreshing, as it's so rare that you're right about anything these days. But, I suppose, even a broken clock is right twice a day."

  "What are you up to, Cyrus?" Giovanni said.

  "I'm relieving you of your command," Cyrus replied. He turned to the captain. "Secure them."

  "Yes, sir," The captain turned back toward the board table and shouted, "Everyone stand with their hands behind their backs. Now!"

   None of the board obeyed, but looked to Giovanni for direction. Giovanni stared at Cyrus defiantly.

  "You were given an order," Cyrus said.

   No one moved.

  "No?" Cyrus said. "Okay, then. Captain Steven, shoot one of them."