Ch. 15 The Dragon and Its Beast

Just minutes after the toast, there was a knock on the door. "Housekeeping."

  "Come in," Cyrus said.

   The door slowly opened and a portly, middle-aged Italian woman in a white-and-turquoise housekeeping smock looked in timidly. "Chairman Giovanni?"

  "Mr. Giovanni doesn't live here anymore," Cyrus said. "I'm your new boss. Is it just you?"

  "Yes, sir."

  "What is your name?"

  "My name is Patrizia."

  "Okay, Patrizia, you'd better call for help. This room reeks of Giovanni. I want you to disinfect it--I want it scrubbed from top to bottom. I want you to change my linens, rugs, and towels--in short I want you to sterilize or replace every piece of fabric, including the drapes. You may begin by removing Mr. Giovanni's personal belongings from the closets and drawers."

   The maid looked confused. "Where shall I take the chairman's things?"

  "He is no longer the chairman and you are not to refer to him by that title anymore. Do you understand?"

   She swallowed. "Yes, sir."

  "I don't care what you do with his personal artifacts." He rubbed his chin, then said, "No, actually, I do. Throw them overboard. I don't like clutter, and he won't be needing them anymore."

   She looked around at the beautiful art. "Everything, sir?"

  "Everything. Now call your colleagues and get to work. I want you done and out of my room in two hours. A minute longer and you'll spend the night with the former chairman in the brig. Do you understand?"

  "Yes, sir."

  "Very well. Get to it." Cyrus turned back. He took another drink. "Brendan, I want you to make sure everyone's accommodations are acceptable."

  "Yes, sir."

  "Go to it. When you're done, report to me on the forward deck."

   He stood. "Yes, sir."

  "Go along with him, Alain."

  "Yes, sir."

   The maid had already called the rest of the housekeeping crew and was working frantically, piling the linens in the center of the room. Cyrus smiled to see her so motivated. He grabbed the bottle of Scotch and walked to the door. He turned back to the frantic woman. "One hour, fifty-eight minutes, Patrizia. I've set a timer. I will be back then. Hopefully, you won't be escorted out by one of my guards."

  "Yes, sir," she said, too frantic even to look at him.

   Cyrus walked out of the room.

   Cyrus took the elevator to the bridge level and walked out onto the deck, the pungent smell of sea spray filling his nostrils. He sat down near the bow, kicking his feet up on the chair next to him. He lifted the Scotch and took a swig, then set the bottle down next to the chair. He had been there for about thirty minutes when Brendan walked out to him. "Everyone is happy with their room, sir."

  "Where is Alain?"

  "He's in his room."

  "Very well," Cyrus said. He was still looking out over the water. "B?"

  "Yes, sir."

  "Have you ever read the Bible?"

   Brendan's brow furrowed. "No, sir. It wasn't allowed at the academy."