rising tempest

Only a small sense of disbelief washed over her before her mind came back to her.

'But of course! Of course fog can have a companion,' she thought to herself with a small laugh, 'Maybe looking at trees everyday made it feel lonely.'

She wondered whether it was a gas or mist or maybe a warm paddle of water that the fog found a companion in. A warm paddle of water would definitely be out of its league, that's why it would go shot its shot at it. It must be some form of moving water.

She thought to herself about how the two got together. Maybe it was first attracted to the mist the warm paddle let out when it got cold. When it followed, it found the water and really hit the jackpot; someone to accompany it while it killed innocent captives.

If it weren't for the wolf, she wouldn't be anywhere within their reach. And how isn't the wolf dead? She got suspicious of him. Maybe he was working with the fog to collect victims. Think about it. Yes! Who would walk into a forest they knew had killer fog and least of all stay in it?

Maybe he also came in as an unsuspecting fellow and the fog almost poisoned him to death. Then he was given an antidote that didn't cure the poison, only brushed off the effects temporarily. That made him a slave to the fog. He had to continue supplying the fog with victims in order to survive.

She looked at his cave; the cave of dark secrets. She hadn't even thought of it before he had prohibited her not to enter. There was definitely something in there. Maybe if she could find the antidote and runaway-. She stopped herself.

It was only over a day that she'd spent in the forest yet she was already thinking stupid. Nature always had that amazing effect on her.

She looked up at the wolf that was lying comfortably on the roof. It had taken him enough time to squeeze out such a small piece of essential information. What would she have to do to get the next one?

"Well, that's just funny," she said as she settled on the method, "Back at home, we have all kinds of fog but they don't have companions. At they are only poisonous when humans make them although they can carry germs of their own. But the fog I can can be really dangerous too. It reduces visibility and you don't want to be on the road when that happens."

She paused and met his gaze. She tried to gauge whether the information was valuable enough but nothing was as incredible as a fog's companion. He wasn't the one stuck in a different world. She proceeded to tell him how untreated waste from factories could poison the air and damage the ozone layer.

The wolf only looked at her with rising question marks. All that talk of factories and ozone layers was news to him. He concluded that Xiao Hēi was more stupid than he would ever imagine.  Listening to her would only gain him lesser wit.

Her strategy was giving some to get some. The only thing she received was the wolf's confused gaze, which was followed by signs boredom and finally it yawned, laying its head down.

With a little frustration, Denise said, "I can survive. If you tell me how, I can survive way longer than-,"

The wolf abruptly got onto all fours, startling Denise into silence. There was alertness in its narrowing eyes and his body became stiffer by the second. His muscles twitched and his tail was motionless and slightly raised. Shortly, a low growl was heard coming from it.

Denise's heart nearly missed a beat. Whatever it was, it clearly wasn't a good sign.

"What is it?" She asked softly, the words barely leaving her throat.

She was sincerely hoping he could tell her everything so she knew which way to run. Instinctively, her senses became a bit more keen in hope that she would be able to figure out the problem before he thought about telling her. That was when she felt the slow cool breeze continuously linger against her skin like as though it were taking a taste.