4

School for the day was tiring, to say the least. 

Shiro knew for a damn fact that Kageyama and Tanaka were going to fall asleep during class, and if it wasn't for the fact that Shoyo was determined to get his receives down he knew that the redhead would also be sleeping during class. 

Shiro, who hadn't even been practicing like the others, was sleepy himself. He knew it was an odd mix of getting up early, being around a lot of people, and his dropping blood sugar. It was nearing lunchtime and the tall male was excited to get out of the classroom and into the sun as if he was a plant placed too far away from a windowsill.

He needed to eat, but he wanted to lay in the grass outside. 

When the bell rang Shiro found himself awkwardly mapping the halls with his retractable cane, free hand shoved into his pants pocket to fumble with the bit of money he always brought with himself. It was only a few bills and a couple of coins, really the bare minimum if he wanted anything out of the vending machines, but old habits died hard and bad habits died harder.

He'd gotten it beaten into him in middle school not to carry around a lot of money, you really can't blame him. 

In the end, he didn't find a vending machine, but the soft sound of talking and a volleyball against flesh still made him venture outside. 

"Hinata, you need to drop your waist," a kind, yet stern voice said, and Shiro knew that he'd found Shoyo and Sugawara practicing. "You've gotta hit like you're sending it back in the direction it came."

Suga's voice got closer as he spoke, and Shiro found himself outside the doors without much of a thought.

"Oh Shiro!" that same voice said, soft and pleasant, absent of the sternness he'd been using on Shoyo. 

"Hey," he said softly, hand still awkwardly stuff in his pocket to clench at his money. He needed to find a vending machine to get something to raise his blood sugar before he went back to class, but the sun was out, Shoyo was here, and so was Suga.

It was a mental fight, one that he wasn't winning.

"Did you already eat?" Shoyo asked, and Shiro felt himself sag. 

It was a mental fight, one that he wasn't winning, but that didn't matter because Shoyo would always fight his battles for him.

"No," he said softly, awkwardly, eyes trained on the ground he couldn't even see. "I was looking for a vending machine so I could get my blood sugar up quickly and you know," Shiro shrugged sheepishly, a slight smile coming to rest on his face, "the sun's out."

He could practically feel Shoyo roll his eyes at that, but Shiro was used to it. Emica and he constantly made jokes about Shiro truthfully being a plant in disguise of a boy, explaining why he'd grown so tall and why he liked just sitting in the sun so much.

They joked between him having to Photosynthesize to keep his insulin levels up and him being a weed, but it was all in good humor.

"Gimme your money and I'll go grab you something," Shoyo said finally, and Shiro sighed. Instead of waiting for Shiro to pull the money out of his pocket Shoyo reached forward, sticking his hand into Shiro's pocket without a care while the taller male stood still, an awkward smile finding its way over his features.

Suga, forgotten for the moment, blinked rapidly as he watched Shoyo dig through Shiro's pocket without care. Shiro wasn't freaking out though so that probably meant it was normal, right?

Right?

With the money in hand, Shoyo walked off, patting Shiro on the back before leaving him with the other 3rd year, the taller male sighing and slouching forward awkwardly.