Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When it was time to make funeral arrangements he knew what he had to do. The forgotten cemetery was on his mind often. When he didn’t dream of the car crash he dreamed of the cemetery. Jeremy took care of all the arrangements personally; to him it was extremely important. He didn’t want any mix ups, he want to make sure she was buried exactly where she wanted to be.

He showed the family where the cemetery was ahead of time so they could she where she was going to be. Her mother didn’t like it very much, she preferred the plots that Jeremy had already sold over a year ago. Nicola kept asking if he was sure this is what she wanted, and he kept reassuring her over and over. Juan on the other hand had complete faith in Jeremy.

The service was small because the cemetery was small. They had warned everyone ahead of time not to wear heels and dresses because they had to walk through a path in the woods. They didn’t mention the path was practically grown over, but they made due. The service was full of tears and laughter. Everyone had something to share. The flower shop had provided free flowers, seeing as she was on her way there for their mistake when she died. Jeremy had made sure to put copies of the photos of what the wedding would have been in her casket. He spread himself across the closed casket as if to hug her one last time. With her he left an imprint of his hands and face. They lowered the casket and he knew it was time for him to go.

He was the first one to leave stumbling down the path. He didn’t make a sound, the tears ran down his face as if they planned to fall for eternity.

He got in  his car and drove. He didn’t know where he was going but he knew it wasn’t home and it wasn’t here.

She was gone, she was really gone. Now it was official. She was six feet under, there was no turning back. What was he supposed to do? Where was he supposed to go? He didn’t want to go home, ever. He was alone now. There was no one out there for him.

He thought about drinking, but he didn’t want to become one of those people who turned into a drunk after they lost someone. Instead he drove. He didn’t pay attention to where he was or where he was going . He didn’t stop except for the lights. He jumped on the interstate to avoid having to stop. Hours past and the sun was setting. He only had a quarter tank of gas left. He waited a few more exits and got off the interstate. Jeremy found he was going north and ended up maybe three states away from home. He parked at the nearest fast food place and called a taxi. He ate while he waited.

As he ate he was thinking of what to do with his Beemer. He didn’t want it anymore, and he didn’t want to drive it. He went out to the car found a piece of paper and wrote ‘If you want it, Keep it. Too many memories.’  He looked in the glove compartment for the title. He signed it and left it in the passenger seat. The taxi came and Jeremy collected what little things he wanted from the car. He took the car key off his key ring and put it in the drivers seat of the unlocked car with the note in the window. He paused for a second and remembered the bill of sale. He open the car up and found another paper and scribbled a bill of sale.

Jeremy opened the taxi door and stood there taking one last look at the black BMW Alexia used to drive. ‘She’s gone.’ he told himself once more and got in the taxi and closed the door.

“The closest airport please.” Jeremy told the driver. The driver shook his head and drove away.

Jeremy hoped if he let go of little pieces of Max at a time maybe one day he could move on, before it was too late. He sat in the taxi not knowing how long a ride to anticipate and took himself back.

Almost three years ago Max wanted to go on vacation, but she couldn’t decide where and neither could Jerm. Max was so indecisive so Jerm decided to fix that problem. He woke her up early in the morning and grabbed the passports. Max was half asleep  so she didn’t really notice where they were going. She sat in the passenger seat with shades that covered half her face falling in a out of sleep. They arrived at the airport no luggage no nothing, just the passports and wallet in Jeremy’s pocket. He woke up Max and when she saw where they were she looked at him like he’d lost his mind.