Chapter 2

Chapter 2

One of Max's favorite things to do was any outdoor activity (Hiking, running, biking, climbing), it wasnt Jerm's favorite, but he still enjoyed it. She liked to hike in the unconventional places, you know the ones without trails and see how lost she can get.

One Saturday afternoon they went hiking Max had found a new place she wanted to hike, there was absolutely no trails it looked like there used to be one but the trees and vines and grass grew over it years ago, this was their "trail". Max was making way through all the trees for Jerm to pass as well when found herself in a some what of a clearing. The trees had been cleared out long ago but the grass was long and so were the weeds. There was a creek, you could smell the water as soon as you past the trees. It smelled fresh and inviting. Max was already wondering through the grass to see what was there.

"Jerm, do you know what this is?" she asked him.

"No, not really."

"It's a cemetery, a forgotten cemetery."

"Why forgotten?"

"Hello! Look around you the grass hasnt been cut, there is what... 8 graves, no flowers, not even dead ones. No one been here in years."

This little forgotten cemetery became her favorite place to go. Almost every Saturday they hiked to the cemetery. One Saturday Max made Jerm bring something to cut the grass down so they can see the graves. They weren't the kind that stood up, they were flat on the ground the following Saturday she bought flowers and laid them on each tombstone. For some reason she seemed inclined to impress the dead with how much she cared that they had been forgotten. After lying down the last of the flowers she turned to Jerm and said, "When I die I want to be buried here."

Jeremy looked at Alexia like she had gone crazy.

"What?" she said

"What about your family plots?"

"I'll sell ours, or mine and when the time comes I want this to be my final resting place."

Jeremy thought about this for a moment, he looked around the little cemetery and though about it. Alexia always liked the little things so maybe this little cemetery was perfect for her to spend eternity after life. If she wanted to be buried here then so did he. To him it was just dirt as long as she was next to him he didnt care which pile of dirt he was under.

"Ok" he said " We will sell our plots and tell our families, and I guess one day show them this place so they can at least find it. How does that sound?" He let a smile flash across his face. His teeth were always the whitest teeth she had seen, every time he smiled his teeth sparkled.

She nodded and smiled back then crossed her arms.

"Theirs just one problem." he said, his face became serious.

"Which is?" Alexia was lost what problem could there be unless he really wanted the plots they had, but knew it didnt matter to him.

"Well when I go six feet under I would prefer to be buried next to my wife, not my girlfriend." he said trying so hard not to crack a smile at her. First she looked upset then confused, then she smiled. He could tell she was slowly processing what he had just said.

"Your supposed to get down on one knee." she whispered as her voice trembled from tears that were getting ready to stream down her face.

Jeremy walked til he was a foot away from her, he took her left hand and reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring he spent five grand on months ago. He dropped on his right knee. "Alexia Rebecca Delgado Varga, I was hoping you would do me the greatest honor of my life and agree to be my wife until they bury us six feet under in this cemetery we stand in, even then in death, i'd like you to continue to be my wife."

Alexia giggled but was beside herself for words. The tears continued to come and she nodded her head and tried to speak out the word yes but her voice only came to be a whisper. Jeremy took the white gold ring with the biggest diamond he could stand to look at and slid it on her ring finger.

It may not have been as romantic as fireworks or rose petals and candles or whatever else but it was original and it was theirs. This was their happy quiet place and now it had a memory.

That was almost 2 years ago, the wedding day was coming up closer and closer. Max and Jerm had no second thoughts, no cold feet, Max's mother on the other hand was freaking out. One night it was a Thursday and 3 months before the wedding.

"Alexia" she said " are you sure about this?" Nicola asked her daughter.

"Mama, please not again, you act like we havent been together for eleven years. I love him and he loves me. Our families are so close and now you want to question me. If you find anyone more perfect for me then let me know. But mama if I dont marry him I will go insane. I mean what are you so unsure about? Mothers would love to have him as a son in law."

"Mi amor" she said running her fingers through Alexia's hair "I love him, he is great everything a mother could want for her daughter but marriage is a big step and I worry one of you may change your mind when it is already too late. You know your not supposed to divorce, so your stuck with him."

"Mami I know im not supposed to divorce but if I have to I will, but I dont think that will happen at least not soon."

Nicola just sighed and continued to cut onions while Alexia prepared the chicken for the family dinner.

Nicola loved Jeremy but she couldnt help but wonder why Alexia never showed interest in any of the good spanish boys. Nicola wasnt racist but she was used to keep it in the same race. She watched her daughter prepare the chicken from the corner of her eye, she was a beautiful woman with a good career and good money. Many boys wanted to date her but she only had eyes for Jeremy. She knew she had, had other boyfriends before Jeremy, she started dating at the age of 13, but to Nicola that wasnt enough time to see all the options.

She herself didnt marry until the age of 32, her two eldest sons were from a previous relationship but non of the kids knew that, they all considered Juan to be their father. Nicola wanted Alexia to wait at least until she was 30 before agreeing to marry, but she knew Aexia wasnt having it she was to excited about her big day.

With the wedding so close Nicola knew she had to stop trying to talk Alexia out of waiting longer, weather she liked it or not Alexia was going to be married to Jeremy Preston and that was it.