Chapter 6

December 1996 (2:15am)

“Where’s the boy?” he rasped when she peered through the doorway of the large bedroom.

“He’s not there,” she said in a neutral tone.

The handsome man kneeling on the floor looked at her, his eyes silently grateful. His wife whimpered beside him, her face streaming with tears.

“What do you mean he’s not there?”

“I can’t find him.”

He stormed towards her and grabbed her by the shoulders, “If I find out you’re lying, you’ll be dead.”

“My boy’s not here,” the man on the floor stammered, “he spent the night with a friend.”

The man pushed her away and turned at the couple on the floor, blade in hand. They cowered.

“Then I guess I’ll just get you then, Mr. Lightman. My boss says hi,” came the icy reply.

“What do you want? Who is your boss? I’ll double whatever he paid you,” the man’s voice cried in desperation. “Just spare me and my family.”

The man continued to walk closer to them, shaking his head, “I’m a professional, Mr. Lightman. I finish my work. Come back from the grave and we’ll talk about your offer,”

“No! Please!”

She couldn't look anymore. She had witnessed enough for the night and she couldn't watch any longer. Slowly, she retreated out of the room, the shadows of the hallway enveloping her small form. She had to hide. Surely help would come soon.

March 24, 2011 (11:00pm)

She glided into the ballroom like a goddess. Everyone’s eyes turned in her direction, every man watched her every step, and every lady looked on with envy.

But she’s not interested in any one of them. She searched through the crowd of elegant dresses and suit for the one man she planned to spend the night with.

After five minutes, she spotted him talking with a man whose back was facing her.

She breathed deeply and walked to his direction.

“Mr. Finn,” she interrupted with a gentle voice, “I just came by to tell you this party is amazing.”

Bill Finn looked at her, startled at first then admiration washed over his face as he looked her over. The man beside him stopped talking and looked at her.

She did not mind the stranger—she’s only after the one she’s facing.

“It’s a pleasure to host a party especially if such a beauty like you enjoys it,” he replied with a flashing grin. He noticed his companion was glaring down at her and he said, “By the way, this is my guest of honor, Sean Lightman, and…” he trailed off, his brows arching a notch as he looked at her inquiringly.

“I’m sorry. Phoebe,” she held out her hand and he took it, “Phoebe Knowles.” Then she turned to the man at her right and smiled, “Nice to meet you, Mr. Lightman,” she shook his hand and their eyes met. She saw his handsome face frown.

“Have we met before?” he asked.

She thought for a moment, “No, I don’t believe so.”

He nodded slowly.