Chapter 10

December 1996 (3:00am)

The police officer found her inside the closet.

“She’s here!” he called over his shoulder. “Hey,” he squatted down, his voice gentle, “are you okay?”

She nodded. She’s too tired to speak.

“You’re safe now…” he said. It’s the best thing she had ever heard tonight.

Yes, she was finally safe. The bad man was gone.

Someone approached them as the man carried her in his arms. “We have to question her,” said the officer.

“For Christ’s sake’s man! The kid’s in shock!”

“Fine, later then.”

Yes, later, she thought. She needed more time to think. Being inside that closet gave her time to devise a plan. A plan to escape from everything…

March 27, 2011 (6:00am)

She had stayed up all night going through the files. She needed one more name to complete the puzzle.

One more name…

(8:00am)

“You’re gonna love this,” his private investigator said.

“Close the door first,” Sean ordered. The man did just that and strode as fast as he came and leaned down his table.

“Before I say anything, I want a bonus.”

“You want me to give you a bonus before you spill it all out,” he said dryly.

“Uh-huh…”

“Fine,” he said.

The man looked at him is surprise, “Really? You’ll give it?”

“You asked for it. Okay, if you don’t want—”

“No, of course I want a bonus…”

“Just get on with it. And I better love it since it took you a long time,” he warned.

“Yes, yes, you’ll love it. I got something big. I don’t even think the police got as far as I had. Damn, they’re idiots!”

“Fowler,” Sean interrupted his gaze expectant and getting impatient.

“It’s a fucking cover-up.”

“Cover-up? What fucking cover-up?”

“The whole case. Peter Thomas’ execution was one big fucking cover-up.”

“Peter Thomas? The guy imprisoned for the murder of Georgia Stuart?”

“Good. You read my reports.”

“I’m paying you big time for those reports. Of course I read them like a bible.”

“Plus the bonus. Don’t forget the bonus,” Fowler added and when he saw his face, he continued, “To answer your question, yes, Peter Thomas was executed for the murder. The case was closed. But never—not once—did he admit to the killing.”

“I read there was strong evidence—”

“As I told you, it’s a fucking cover-up.”

“You’re saying he was framed.”