F I V E - B E G I N N I N G S

It had been over a month since the day Hermione sat next to Malfoy in potions. When Harry had made her spill everything she chose not to mention him asking her about Voldemort and her about his arm- although they had never explicitly said so, she felt that was between them.

It wasn't just that though, she knew Harry would've just used it as even more ammo for his obsession with Narcissa. When he'd heard the story he became even more convinced that she was central to figuring everything out. While he wasn't thrilled at the prospect of Hermione interacting with him, he encouraged her to so they could get more information.

Hermione didn't need encouraging, though. She found she quite liked being around Draco, as she now called him, at least when he wasn't being his old self. Though that too, was happening less. She could speak about the intellectual things no one else cared about, and she found it rewarding to help Draco open up a bit about his past and feelings, not only did it help him but it humanised him to her and made them feel closer, not that it happened very often.

At first, all her friends had been shocked by their friendship, they felt uneasy about what would motivate Hermione to be around him after everything that happened. It was only when she framed it as following what McGonagall had said about setting a good example to the younger students that it finally made enough sense to them to leave her alone. While she had understood their first reactions, she did find herself rather annoyed that now she had seen how he had changed, they still wouldn't make any effort with him.

One night, while they were on a walk, Hermione found herself apologising to Draco for this very thing. He smiled at her.

"Ah, Hermione, what do you expect? If I were them I wouldn't want to talk to me either- I actually judge you for being so weak, I would definitely still be holding the grudge."

"They don't have to like you but they could tolerate you at least, they're like repelled magnets whenever you're around- I managed to talk to you and be polite when I still felt that way, and now I'm glad I did!" Draco smiled once again.

"Yes, well it is in your name, isn't it."

"My name?"

"You know, its comes from Hades, the messenger- he would've been good at interacting with people, even those he hated the most." Hermione laughed at this reference to her name's origin but stopped suddenly as she processed the words said.

"But, you know I don't hate you, don't you?"

"Maybe not hate, but you don't particularly like me, right?" He smiled weakly, to show that this wasn't said as an attack but rather just a sad truth. Hermione frowned heavily.

"What on earth would make you think I don't like you? I spend time with you everyday, I talk to you about things I can't with anyone else, you're a very good friend!" Draco's smile faltered, he almost seemed a bit annoyed.

"Hermione, I'm not a fucking idiot, don't treat me like one. I know McGonagall is watching me, and I know you were called out of breakfast that morning after we'd argued in the library, and I know you started being all nice after that." Hermione reeled. While that was all true to begin with, it actually wasn't the main reason she talked to him now. She knew she should explain this but his tone and raised voice had got her back up.

"Yeah, well then why bother talking to me if you feel that way, so smart to figure that out but not smart enough to stop being my friend?" His face fell briefly before hardening. Hermione instantly regretted what she had said. "Wait-"

"Yeah, no you have a point." He interrupted bluntly before turning on his heel and walking away. Hermione wanted so badly to chase him but she figured it was best just to leave him to cool down for the night before they talked.