Five

Now, if I want a chance at life, I have to be entirely obedient. That means no escaping, no defying of the King. Just stay in your cell quietly without bothering anyone. Don't speak unless spoken to. Something is bound to happen eventually, unless I'm destined to rot in this cell forever and ever.

Speaking of things happening, there has been a change around here: a new "guard" has arrived.

I can't really say that much about him other than simple observation; when I woke up, he was sitting in front of my cell, his back to me. Just by his appearance, I felt like something was up. He's not dressed as a guard or a soldier of any sort, dressing in a long, blue and black dress coat with sandals. No jewelry or armor. Peasants clothing. His hair was dark, ear length. And other than the huge spear that lay next to him, there was nothing really special about this guy. Why would they put him on the job? Maybe because the King recognized that I wasn't a threat. Especially with my leg wound. I can't do anything with this baby.

I lay there in silence, thinking of things to distract myself. What would I be doing if I was at home right now. Maybe reading? I love to read, I do it everyday, but...what time is it? Midnight? Evening? How long have I been here? It can't be longer than three days or so. There's no window in here--only a torch outside my cell. When I was caught by the King, before I jumped out the window, it looked like midday. How long ago was that? Ugh, I'm so confused.

I don't like thinking about this, so I think about my mom. She was really spectacular. Talented, too. She wasn't the prettiest out there, but she could sing, and she could cook and...
Cook.
Food.
Making food.
Eating food.
Eat.
Hunger.
My stomach begins to growl, and I realize the one flaw in my plan: The fact that all humans need to eat to survive. I was so distracted I never realized how hungry I was. But there's no food in here! Am I going to die of starvation? No, no, get yourself together. Think of something else. Something else...

Mom.
Moms talents.
Moms cooking.
Her food.
Food.
My stomach growls louder. AGH! I can't keep my mind off it. I'm going crazy.

Ask him for food.

The thought comes into my mind but I quickly shoo it away. That's the dumbest thing I've thought all day.

Why?

Why? Because it's not--

It's perfectly reasonable to ask for food. It won't look suspicious; you're not trying to make an ally or gain trust or anything. Everyone needs food to live. It's understandable.

I'm reluctant to listen to my own logic, but then before I know it, I've rolled over from my resting place, landing on all fours. My thigh stings at the sudden movement, but I don't bother with it. Slowly, I crawl over to the bars of my cell, of which the guard's back is leaning on. I won't get too close to him; I'll just be a few feet away.

It's strange. I must've made some noise making it here--why hasn't this guy at least turned around to see what I'm doing? I am his prisoner, after all. What if I was about to strike him? I knocked the last guy out cold. They would inform him of that, right? Shouldn't this guy at least be remotely aware of me?

I hate to admit it but it kind of pissed me off.

"Hey."  My tone is cold, and my voice is loud enough for him to hear. But he doesn't turn.

"Hey!" I say a bit louder.

He doesn't even move. What, is he sleeping?

I crawl closer until I'm close enough to touch his back. Hesitant, I poke his shoulder. Nothing. I sit up on my knees, closing the space between me and the bars. I reach my hand out of the space between two of the bars. My fingers gently wrap around his shoulder. Maybe...

Before I can tighten my grasp, his hand comes seemingly out of nowhere and grabs my wrist, twisting it and shoving it back into the cell.

"Ow!" I shout, then I compose myself. What was I thinking? I wasn't, that's what. I look up, to see the boy on his knees, glaring at me.

I don't know what to say. I take a breath, clearing my throat. "Did you fall asleep?"

He keeps the same expression, but he falls back to the ground into sitting position, facing me this time. "Tried." A deadpan tone. 

Now that he faces me, I can see that he doesn't look as ordinary as I thought. His eyes are slanted in a scary way, his face in a scowl. But the most compelling thing about him is the scar across his face--it's in a straight, horizontal line across his nose and cheeks. All in all, a menacing appearance...except for the fact that he couldn't be much older than I am.

I am suddenly incredibly curious to know this boy's backstory. It feels like something straight out of a storybook I would read.

I snap myself back to attention. "Forgive me for waking you."

Another pause as we stare at each other. Such an awkward atmosphere. I take the silence to form my words.

"I would...do you have anything to...um...do you have anything to eat?"

Dear god, I sound pathetic.

I know I'm screwed, because the boy just stares at me, emotionless. I'd wish he'd just...

"Stop staring at me."

It takes a second for me to realize I just said that out loud.

You're supposed to be obedient and polite, remember?! You can't even do that you dumbass!

We keep eye contact for a few more seconds till he turns back around, sitting back in the same place he did before. If I had a knife, I'd stab myself. This is horrible. He's completely ignoring me. Food...

I get on all fours again, going back to my corner. I can't stop thinking about food. And I just ruined my chance of getting any. Oh well. Even if I said the right things, he probably still wouldn't have given me any--

Something makes impact with my head, startling me. I whirl my head around. "Wha..."

There's a piece of bread, burnt at the edges, but still fine. Without thinking I grab it, almost drooling, but I look back at the boy.

He sees me, then throws me something else. I catch it. It's a canteen, half-filled with water. I look at him in disbelief, but then he turns back around, like nothing happened.

I take this as my cue to chow down, and chow down I do.