Six

He slips me food sometimes.

Every once in a while, I mean. It's been about two days since I actually talked to him and he first threw me the bread, and since then we haven't talked at all. My usual day consists of sleeping, contemplating suicide, humming, even braiding my hair. My guard isn't around here often; he'll stay here for a few hours with his spear (which I can't imagine him without), just sitting there, completely silent. Then he'll leave to God-knows-where for a while. For the most part, he ignores me. But about two times a day he'll come back from wherever he is and throw me some food. I don't thank him, he doesn't acknowledge me. This is the closest to a relationship I'll ever have from now on, I guess.

At the moment, my guard has gone on one of his rendezvous. I like it like this, since then I can sing and say whatever I want to. Yes, I talk to myself often when he's not around; it sounds crazy, but at least I'm only crazy when I'm alone. Today, I sing.

The sun and the mountain

Are bigger than I.

The clouds have been crying

Up there in the sky.

Your sad tears of blood come pouring like rain,

And all of this silence will drive me insane.

Still I know-

"Ahem."

I stop singing and whirl around. My guard has come back, spear attached to his back. Ugh I didn't even here him. Now I'm embarrassed. 

Something's weird today--and it's not just because the guard is on his feet, facing me through the bars, intentionally making eye contact with me. There's--and I know this sounds odd, but--there's something in the air. It feels different.

He whips out something from his pocket. I don't realize what it is right away, but when he shoves it into the lock and I hear click and the creak of my cell door, I immediately know what's happening.

It's a key.

He stands there, with the door open, looking at me. I frown. There is no boundary between us now. If I wanted to, I could run up to him and punch him. Kick him. But why would he do this? I can't think of any explanation. Is he breaking me out?

He clears his throat again, and motions his head for me to get up.

What's he up to?

I get up, since I have that whole "obedience" plan I have to live up to, and limp towards him. I can see him better now that he's just a few inches in front of me. He's not much taller than I am. As for his face, it's as if there's a permanent scowl there-and I can't help but stare at his scar. What might've happened to make a mark that like? I want to ask. But now's not the time.

I ask something else instead. "What's going on?"

"We're moving you." He takes my wrist and leads me towards the entrance to this dungeon. He's actually very gentle, since it's obvious that I have a leg wound. I can't keep up with a normal pace. I watch him use his free hand to unlock the door, kicking it open.

What does he mean, moving me?

Outside the door there's about four guards-normal-dressed guards; soldiers, not like my own personal guard. As soon as they see us they step aside, revealing something I wasn't really expecting to see.

A cage.

If it's possible for my frown to get any deeper, then that's exactly what it's doing.

"Open it," the boy says. They do.

Oh, don't tell me...

The boy pushes me towards the cage, letting go of my wrist. I recognize it as the same one the Blood King put me in when they took me hostage. Was this his idea?

I stare at it for a bit. It's certainly my size. But if they're transporting me, why does it have to be like this?

I look back at the boy, whose expression and crossed arms hasn't changed. He motions his head again.

I kneel down and fit through the space. I'm back in the cage, and the guards slam the door again and lock it. Then they throw a black piece of cloth over the cage, so I can't see anything but darkness.

"Take her away."

I feel them pick me up. Their footsteps are loud in my ears.

I have a bad feeling about this.