Chapter 74: I Need You

The castle was almost fully functioning not even a week later. Teams of students and families offered their help without hesitation, repairing the castle and tending to the grounds. The people in the portraits helped coordinate everything, sending small groups here and there, making sure that everyone got help when they needed it, and that no corner of the school was left unfixed. 

By the time term started again in September, there were no physical signs that there had ever even been a battle. Now, the only thing reminded us of that night was the memories we all shared and the empty seats of student's we had lost. 

It was a somber first day when I sat back down in McGonagall's class, but it was hopeful as well. There was something different in the air, something that made things seem less stuffy and dull. There wasn't the threat of a looming war, and no dark forces outside these walls. And as our Professor addressed our class, eyes lingering slighting on the desks that would always remain empty, it was clear from our dwindled numbers that the price we'd paid for our freedom was high. 

Yet, the feeling of peace and the comfort of being back in a safe home made it clear that it was all worth it; every ounce of our resistance and our determination had led up to this moment now. It was so we could be free in the present without threat for our safety. So that we could carry on build a better future for ourselves and for each other. And so that we could be with our loved ones in peace and happiness. 

It had been a good first day of my last year at Hogwarts, and I smiled gently at the memory of it as I paced the castle on the one year anniversary of the battle. 

Hogwarts had opened its doors today, inviting all those who wished to pay their respects to the fallen heroes of that day. A quiet, tranquil cemetery had been made at the far end of the ground, near the mountains but still close to the lake. 

Most families, if not all, chose to bury their loved ones at this site rather than any other grounds or family plot; it was in honour of what they'd fought for, and with the intention that they could remain at their true home for the rest of their eternity, among the company of the other heroes. 

I'd visited Fred countless times during the year, and I wasn't the only one either; every time I came, the bottom of his gravestone bore fresh, well-kept flowers. I often came alone to sit and keep him company, but I'd come with Ginny too. 

I knew she kept the flowers tidy and probably visited him more often than I. After she finished planting them on the first day we came together, she'd turned around to find me crying even more than she was. Salty tears had slid down my cheek, finding their way into my mouth as I mumbled incoherently. 

I told her then what had happened. And though, I should have told her earlier, it had all been too hard for me to admit. 

I wasn't sure how I expected her to react, but she gave me a small smile, one that told me not to beat myself up too much- that I was feeling a sense of guilt that I didn't need to be. 

I recognized it easily because it was the same looks I'd give to Harry every time he felt responsible for another's pain and suffering. I was momentarily upset with her for thinking that I shouldn't feel responsible for this, but as she hugged me tightly, I felt myself relax. And I was reminded again just how lucky I was to have her as my best friend.

Colin's stone looked much different. It didn't appear as visited as Fred's was, and I feared for a while that I was the only one who ever came to see him. On one occurrence, as I made my way to the cemetery in the late evening, I'd felt my heart get caught in my throat as I made out, through the mist, a small boy with mousy brown hair, sitting cross legged in front of the large stone head.