10 The True Picture Beneath It All

While Susha Unhuor made his way to the palace, Jusha Lale rode down the road, flanked by Shunche and Chomong. He finally stopped at the crossroad where it split off to the next nearest cities. He looked down the path, sighing lightly. Well, soon enough, things might go back to normal.

He spurred on his horse again but his gaze remained thoughtful. He believed that Susha Unhuor would win. He couldn't quite say why after even the man himself had suggested that he might not be able to do so but he just trusted in his abilities. Maybe it was just the kind of presence he had. It was calm and reassuring and made him feel like there was nothing this man could not tackle.

He knew that wasn't the truth, after all, he had seen what became of some of the other zhireng despite the fact that they weren't any better or worse than Susha Unhuor. Still, he couldn't find the slightest hint of doubt in his heart.

Jusha Lale did not think about it any further. Maybe he would after some time had passed if he didn't hear from Susha Unhuor but for the time being, he would not worry. No, instead, there was something else he should be thinking about: Susha Unhuor hadn't wanted to tell him what he had found out from Agur Suhi. In other words, it definitely was something that had to do with him but it probably wasn't what he had expected all along.

Maybe it would be best to not pry any further but since this had all started because of him, he didn't feel that he had the luxury to just stay ignorant. Should Susha Unhuor not managed to do this after all ... Well, he did not want to think about it but he knew that in that case, he would have to find another way to deal with this. Knowing what exactly had caused his uncle to summon the demon might be beneficial at that point in time.

Finally, the city gates came up in front of them. Jusha Lale pulled the hood down into his face once again so he wouldn't be recognized by the guards. While he didn't necessarily need to keep him being here a secret any longer, it couldn't hurt to keep all his options open either just in case. Not to mention that he still couldn't give his people a satisfactory answer. After Susha Unhuor returned, it would be a different matter.

With the help of Chomong and Shunche, he once again managed to get into the city undetected. He continued to ride down the road but not toward the place that had been prepared for him to stay in beforehand. The two guards exchanged a glance, looking very much like they wanted to ask him questions but Jusha Lale stayed quiet for the time being.

Finally, Shunche couldn't help himself and spoke up. "Dan, should we organize another place for you to stay?" He didn't dare to ask why they hadn't returned to the original one. After all, how could he just pry into his king's thoughts like this? But at the very least, he wanted to make sure that his dan had everything that he needed.

Jusha Lale shook his head. "That won't be necessary." In any case, he just wanted to go and have a conversation and he didn't expect any bigger fallout. Even if whatever Agur Suhi had to say was shocking, those things were on his uncle, not on him. He might as well return to his previous lodgings afterward.

"I want to go and speak with Minister Agur for a moment. The two of you can come with me and then wait outside. After that, we will return." He didn't know what this was about so he wasn't comfortable letting anybody else hear it just in case. After all, this whole matter was able to shatter the peace of the kingdom. Even though things hadn't been easy and even though people might not have accepted him originally, he was still the king of Alo. He would never let his people suffer for his selfish wishes.

Shunche nodded and the two guards followed Jusha Lale over to Agur Suhi's house. They knocked on the door and told the servant that they were there to see the minister, finally following him inside.

Shunche and Chomong stopped at the other side of the corridor to make sure that nobody would go and disturb their king and the minister. Meanwhile, Jusha Lale went forward and waited for the servant to knock and announce him before he stepped inside.