45. Karma hit you hard

"What was done to her was serious unfairness, and you should all know the truth."

My teeth clench. Why is he freaking playing the Samaritan?

Erden takes a look at all of us, his jaw juts up assertively. "Lexi has set up Hazel."

On the spot, our eyes drift to the blonde who is standing near us like a statue, still blankly staring at a fixed point. My eyes narrow. I've never seen her like that before. She is voiceless, not even denying Erden's words. The silence of her daughter is perturbing Leon as well. The muscles of his face are tightening as he is waiting for her to speak.

Convinced that she must still be traumatized by the stupefying news, I puff tiredly. "Erden please... Lexi just learned that she has a kidney failure. It's not the right moment to discuss this."

As if the news I just broke to him is unimportant, a humorless smile appears on his face. "After you hear this," Erden rapidly looks into his phone and perform a few touches. "You will regret for having a soft spot for her." As he says so, an audio begins to play loudly.

Just like me, everyone seems baffled as we begin to listen to a strange conversation. I can recognise Lexi's voice, who is mocking at Erden about me. What does that mean? Erden yelling's and curses are resonating in the saloon until Lexi begins to talk about a plan, drawing further the attention of everyone.

And then my heart stops for a second.

Erden's voice in the audio sounds like a distant echo.

A plan.

It was a fucking plan.

My body begins to shake, unbelieving what I'm hearing. Shaking my head in discrepancy, I gaze at Erden, beseeching that he will give me a sign that this is all a lie. But my heart shatters to pieces for the second time. His eyes are watering as he is staring at me, a deep apologetic look on his face.

He is really guilty.

And that's it. Like a numb body, I keep on listening to the audio. In a flashback, every moment I spent with him at the beginning of his fake relationship with Lexi overflow my mind. I was so dumb that I was even feeling guilty for being close to him. I should be happy right now that they never dated, but the lies are killing me. I want to punch Erden several times, destroy him like he did to me. But I don't even having the strength to cry, because I can't die a second time. He can't break my heart once more.

But the unexpected does turn my dead soul into ashes.

Every sentence from Lexi feels like an additional bullet shot right into my chest. Harsh, sickening and inhuman words which came from the mouth of the same girl who I just had pity for.

So merciless just to be the only heir.

So low for revenge.

My eyes squeeze shut, as I feel myself on the verge of breaking down. But I muster all the courage left in me and open my eyes, looking at Lexi in pure disgust. She hasn't moved at all, not even her eyes. How can she do that? She was not even heartbroken that day. Everything was just scripted!

How the fucking hell could she?!

Leon has facepalmed himself to collect himself as he understood the necessary part. His ears have turned red, as a result of both shame and anger, I suppose. I know my mom and Lia have their gaze plastered on me, waiting for me to say something, but it feels impossible to talk.

As the recording ends, Erden quickly turns off his phone and sniffs repeatedly. He then glares at Lexi in hatred. "What did I tell you the other day, huh? That you would pay for what you have done!" His hands claw in madness. "And see, Karma hit you hard pretty soon!"