Chapter 9

If there was one thing humans did better than chupacabras, it was celebrating food.

Saguaro Pack knew how to appreciate a good meal of course, but they rarely dwelled on one unless it was a hatchling's first kill or part of a mate joining ceremony.

When humans didn't have a reason to rejoice in delicious food, they made one up.

Zest Fest proudly proclaimed its weeklong celebration of spice with bright red banners and enormous balloons shaped like chili peppers. Flashing lights beckoned visitors to the rides and rows of carnival games set up just for the occasion.

"I got you all tickets to see Hailey and the Habaneros tonight, so make sure you head to the stage by seven, okay?" Mr. Kaminski handed each of the chefs their front-row tickets for the night's concert. "Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Ferris wheel with my name on it."

Yolanda sauntered straight to the craft vendors without so much as a backward glance. "Bet she thinks they give discounts for hot tempers," Ralph said. "Shame she doesn't know how to have real fun."

"I take it you and Lucy are going to hit the bumper cars again this year?" Alejandro asked. Decked out in a Zest Fest t-shirt emblazoned with a trio of peppers relaxing in a tub of salsa, it was plain to see he felt right at home.

"You know it!" Ralph rubbed his hands together with a maniacal laugh. "I heard they upped the speed this year."

"Those poor kids don't know what they're getting themselves into," Alejandro said with a chuckle.

"Speaking of not knowing things," Miguel said, "would you mind showing me around? I've never been to anything like this before, and I was hoping to check out the games."

Alejandro's smile easily outshined the festival's lights. "I'd love to!"

Taking Miguel's hand in his, Alejandro gave him a full tour of the many booths that had been set up. Ring toss, balloon popping, water gun shooting: they had everything. Oversized stuffed animals beckoned to them from all sides with some coming close to dwarfing Alejandro. "They're all an absolute blast!" he said. "Just don't count on winning much. I've been coming here every year since I was a kid, and I've never once managed to win anything crazy."

Judging from the baby turtles paddling in tiny bowls filled with murky brown water as kids tossed Ping-Pong balls at them, that might have been a blessing in disguise. "Maybe this will be the year you finally do," Miguel said. "What've you had your eye on?"

"This is going to sound silly, but I've always wanted one of those giant stuffed bears!"

The toys in question stared at them with absolutely enormous eyes as they hung from the ceiling by the backs of their chili-print shirts. Thick curls of rainbow fur covered each of them, their softness clear to see even as they dangled out of reach.

Yet, they looked nowhere near as soft as Miguel's heart felt as he looked at Alejandro.

"By the end of tonight, I'll get you one." It was the least Miguel could do after how much kindness he'd shown him since the day they'd met.

Yet it proved to be much easier said than done. Every single one of the games seemed to conspire against them. Balloons deflected darts, rings bounced off bottles, and water guns sputtered off the mark, leaving them with little in the way of prizes besides fun-size candy bars and stickers. With the meager amount of money they had left to spend on games, the bottle toss was their last chance.