Chapter 29

On the way to Mr. Miller's farm, Alejandro gripped the steering wheel so hard his knuckles paled. "I told you not to push yourself," he said quietly.

The anger burning in his words made Miguel's spines quiver. He'd tried so hard not to be a burden to Alejandro, but he hadn't even been able to get off the floor without his help. His heart hurt worse than his aching leg and pounding headache.

"I didn't think it was that bad." Miguel stared at his lap, curling and uncurling his claws. "Just nerves."

"Just nerves. You've had a horrible headache for days, can barely eat, and fucking passed out. I don't know what is wrong with you, Miguel, but it's not just nerves."

"I don't know what's wrong with me either." Miguel's voice rose in pitch as his throat tightened. At the very least, he was a terrible partner for making Alejandro worry about him so much. And he was scared. Scared for Isabella and the rest of Saguaro Pack. For himself.

Alejandro took a deep breath before letting it out in a slow exhale. His hand found Miguel's, giving it a gentle squeeze as he caressed his scales with his thumb. "I shouldn't have said that. Nothing is wrong with you. I just want you to feel better."

"And I will. Just need to get help from Isabella first. It's almost impossible to get an appointment without a pack leader making it for you."

Miguel hated lying to Alejandro. His stomach snarled at him for letting those words past his lips, but he had no choice. Alejandro would never go along with his plan if he knew what he was really up to.

He would go see Dr. Wilkins afterward. He just needed to convince Isabella to accept The Crimson Goat's aid first, before things got even worse for her and the pack.

Alejandro pulled over on the side of the road, just out of sight of Mr. Miller's farm. "You're sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"Too risky. Isabella might have a cow if she sees you near me when I feel like this." And he'd have an even bigger one if she laid a single claw on Alejandro.

Alejandro eased out of the car before going over to Miguel's side. Miguel took his hand gratefully, forcing himself not to squeeze his eyes shut as getting to his feet made stars dance in his vision. He just had to hold it together for a few minutes, then he'd go see Dr. Wilkins and everything would be okay.

Alejandro bit his lip as he looked Miguel up and down. Tears shined in his eyes. "What am I going to do with you? You can barely stand, and you still won't let me help you."

"A hug would be nice." If Miguel was going to face his old pack, he needed one. Badly.

They both did, if the way Alejandro held him was any indication. It was as if he was afraid Miguel would collapse if he didn't hold him together.

Except Alejandro was the one who was falling apart. His tears dripped onto Miguel's chest in a steady drizzle as he buried his head against him.

"I'll be alright," Miguel said. He nuzzled Alejandro's hair, breathing in his lavender scent as he blinked back tears of his own.

"You'd better be." Alejandro pressed his lips against Miguel's jaw, a trembling smile momentarily brightening his face as Miguel thrummed at his touch. "I swear if I don't hear from you in fifteen minutes, I'll challenge Isabella myself!"

There wasn't a doubt in Miguel's mind that he meant it.

Pulling himself out of Alejandro's embrace was one of the hardest things Miguel had ever done. The sun glared off his scales as he made his way to the border of Saguaro Pack's territory.

Two familiar faces greeted him, one far more welcoming than the other but both equally haggard.

"It's good to see you," Esmeralda said with a quiet thrum that faded as she took in Miguel's appearance. She sniffed him cautiously. Although hardship had left her and her mate full of sharp, bony angles, concern still softened her voice. "How are things at your restaurant? Are you doing alright?"

"The stars have shone brightly upon us. Have they lit your path as well?"

Martha snorted. "They have left us shrouded in darkness, no thanks to you and the humans you are so fond of."

Miguel sighed. At least one of them didn't look at him as if he was a vulture swooping down on an already meager kill. "I'm here to speak to Isabella."

"We can't let you pass," Esmeralda said apologetically, "but perhaps I could convince her to meet you here or take your message to her."

Martha's spines rose. "And perhaps she could grant an audience to a rattlesnake next."

"But cariña, he only wants to talk. What harm could it do?"

"More than enough." Martha lowered herself into a hunter's crouch and flexed her claws. "Leave."

Staring at her long, sharp claws and twitching muscles, Miguel was tempted to obey. But he wouldn't. Couldn't. He needed to make sure Isabella knew he could help her if only she would let him.

"Not before I speak with Isabella." Miguel lowered himself onto all fours as well. His venom glands ached as his body attempted to prepare itself for a fight. A gasp of pain escaped his lips as his limbs quivered beneath him. Five minutes. That was all he needed to last.

"This is your last warning, Miguel." Martha bared her fangs. "Run back to your humans, and nobody will get hurt."

Except for his former packmates barely scraping by. The only family he had.

Miguel ran toward the barn.

Pain shot through his bad leg. Worse than he'd felt in years. Pain so intense all the tears he'd held back for Alejandro's sake ran down his face as he sprinted.

Ten yards. Five. He squeezed his eyes shut with a growl, breath wheezing through clenched teeth. Almost there.

A snarling, hissing weight slammed him into the ground.

Stars. All the world was stars and pain and heat scorching through his head.

Miguel could only sink his claws into the earth and wait for the next blows to come.

Something sharp sank into his leg. Dragged downward.

Someone was screaming. Iron-scented wetness was running down his leg, and someone was screaming. Shaking.

Low hissing morphed into a full-throated growl, cut off by a metallic crack.

The claws left. The growling faded into the distance.

Hands pressed against his leg. Trembling human hands sticky with blood.

Then, there was nothing.