six; the bitterness

chapter six.

SELENE COULD NOT think straight as the guards around her scrambled to their positions.

"It's a trap," she said quietly to Dino.

"Doesn't matter," Dino replied. "We outnumber him. There's nothing he can do. I need his head. Now."

Selene nodded absently, and got into the car.

Nix had been spotted alone in a warehouse downtown, and of course, Dino's men pounced. It was foolish for Dino to go, but he insisted that he wanted to see Nix's defeat himself.

When they arrived, Selene cautiously stepped out of the car. Even the dumbest agent would be able to tell something was off. Spotting Nix was not an accident. To spot someone as trained as him meant he wanted to be found.

She was right, of course, when they stepped into the warehouse to see Nix lounging on a single chair placed at the center. Crate boxes were stacked behind him, towering up and up towards the high ceiling. The afternoon sunlight slid in through the glass windows, cutting the cement ground into geometric shapes that all seemed to point towards the lounging criminal before them.

"Oh finally," Nix groaned as he stood up. "Took you guys long enough." His eyes swept over Selene's form with a knowing stare.

"Nix," Dino greeted. "My boy."

Nix wrinkled his nose, "Yeah no, I always hated that."

"What are you doing here?" Dino scoffed. "Surely not to apologize, I hope?"

"Definitely not."

"Then what? Don't tell me you're here to surrender."

Nix shrugged, "And if I am?"

Selene could see the wheels spin in Dino's little brain. He was clearly not cut out for his position if he was actually entertaining this mess Nix created.

"Whatever you're planning is not going to work. I have you surrounded," Dino said, as if he was convincing himself he still had the upper hand.

Nix nodded with a mocking grin, leaning back into his chair as if he couldn't care less.

"Tell me why you're doing this," Dino demanded. "Fess up some answers before you go. Why did you betray me?"

Nix laughed, "You're pathetic, you know that?"

Dino's fragile ego would not tolerate this. "I gave you everything," he hissed. "I picked you off the streets. I saved your fucking life."

Nix just stared at him, entertained by his little rant. "I can't wait to kill you," was all he said in reply.

Dino snarled. He took a step back into his shield of men when he realized he wasn't getting anywhere with the troublemaker.

Selene almost laughed. She couldn't help but feel a little jealous that Nix spoke so freely around him. She wanted to yell at Dino's incompetence every single day, and yet she had forced herself to stay silent around him. The perfect, obedient, little princess for him. Being sweet all the time had started to become bitter.

"Selene," Dino addressed her. "My late birthday present to you. Make him suffer."

She stepped out from behind him and pulled out her loaded gun. She was used to being commanded by Dino like this. She had always been a pretty threat, a weapon for Dino to yield, an ace card for him to play. Dino was all too pleased with himself as he grinned that ugly and snobbish grin of his. Selene regarded Nix with a cold stare.

He stared back at her, those dark eyes revealing nothing but the reflection of her own emptiness.

She pointed the gun at him. Oh, what a joyous feeling that was. She remembered the way he had overpowered her in the file room. The way he had smirked at her. The way he had underestimated her. She felt the blood in her veins rush in exhilaration at the power she held over him then and there.

He didn't move and just held her gaze. They say a traitor's eyes hold secrets that send even the most loyal subjects awry.

Nix smiled.

Selene shifted her aim and shot the guard beside Dino.