02. high school and chess magazines

WHITE QUEEN

02. high school and chess magazines

 high school and chess magazines

♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖

[ 3rd Person POV ]

  IT WAS A GOOD THING that due to the fact that Sophia and Beth were both incredibly intelligent and top of their classes back at Methuen, they did not have to repeat any grades. Sophia thanked her brain for working so splendidly and out of reach of the average high school student as she walked out of the door, followed by Beth on her way to her first day at her new school. 

  For the first time in years, Sophia and Beth would be spending long hours away from each other. Neither of them was looking forward to that. But as Sophia kept reminding herself, at least she did not have to spend much more time studying. Just one year, ten months, and 23 days and she would be free to do whatever she wanted. Not that she was counting of course.

"Are you girls sure you don't want me to go with you?" Mrs.Wheatley asked, her eyes squinting in the sunlight.

"It's fine," Beth brushed her off with a small smile.

"See you soon Mrs.Wheatley!" Sophia grinned, her hand waving towards the woman before she started walking down the path.

  Both girls walked in silence for a few moments, neither of them quite understanding the fact that for the first time in a long time, they were free to do their own thing. It could not be said that the Harmons were particularly social - especially Beth. However, they enjoyed the freedom of being normal teenagers for once.

  "What do you think high school is going to be like?" Beth asked as she walked beside Sophia.

  "Not sure," the blonde shrugged "I just hope that no one gets on my nerves too much."

  "That's likely," Beth whispered under her breath, a hint of sarcasm laced in her tone.

  "And what in the hell is that supposed to mean Elizabeth Harmon?" Sophia asked, her eyes narrowed at her younger sister.

  "Oh come on Posie, everything gets on your nerve," Beth smirked.

  Sophia staggered her steps for a moment at the nickname, something that Beth did not fail to realize. Posie was the nickname that her mother had called her, and she hadn't heard it ever since the dreaded day of the accident.

  "I haven't heard that name in a long time," Sophia mumbled.

  "It just slipped out," Beth spoke softly, her eyes looking apologetic.

  "It's fine - I like it," Sophia smiled for a moment before her expression twisted into a more sarcastic one "and by the way, not everything gets on my nerves."