Surprises

A deep fall leads to great happiness - William Shakespeare

**********************************************************************************************

Before my pondering lead to any conclusion, Tom looked around the corner. 

With an astonished face he asked, "Charlie, do you expect a visitor? There is a guy outside saying he is here to visit you?"

I had misjudged. 

Not before, NOW the room was completely, utterly silent. 

...And all eyes were on me.

"A... guy?" Wary I looked up.

"Yep. A GUY! Clearly not from around here..." He looked at me accusingly, as if I had arranged it.

"Uhm ok? What's his name?" 

He just shrugged. Oh come on. Why hadn't he asked his name or who he was? 

My cousins crossed arms and defensive stance weren't helpful nor encouraging. Phew useless to fight about hit with him.

Placing down the stack of remaining cutlery I took matters into my own hand and went to the door. 

Tom and – I glanced over my shoulder – yes also Cart were trailing me. Even my mum glanced into the hall from the doorway.

As soon as I stepped around the corner, my heart speed up.

I was in trouble.

It was Alex. 

DAMN IT! Of course, it was him! 

"Alex..." I greeted him happy and annoyed to see him at the same time. 

Opening the front door I stepped out in front of him.

"Merry Christmas, Charlie." he said softly, giving me his most-charming smile. 

This bastard was playing unfair.

"Merry Christmas..." I replied with raised eyebrows and checked over his shoulder. 

I noticed a shiny new Audi sitting in our driveway. Figures that he would pick a "normal" car to try and lay "low". Only normal and low was something entirely different in NYC and here. 

For the first time I saw him outside the studio or his apartment he was alone.

"Why are you here and where are your friends?" I asked vaguely, closing the door a bit behind me. Excluding the three eager pairs of ears that were listening in. 

I would hate if any of the guys had to sit around outside in a cold car.

"Not here." He said barely audible before four times louder adding with a wicked grin, "Can I come in, it's surprisingly cold?" 

It was cold, true. Not that chilling temperatures had ever bothered him before. Another move. Fricking hell he was going to kill me today.

Sighing I stopped stalling. Lingering would only make the questions from my family worse.

I fully opened the door again and made an inviting gesture.

My cousins still were defensive and leaned with crossed arms behind the door in the hallway. 

It was almost funny how they tried to intimidate Alex. No chance there, he easily towered over them. 

Being two and with all their bar fight experience, they normally were a force to reckon with. They had no idea how far out of their depths they were with my "guest".