𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐶𝐼𝑉

~Away to War~

~Away to War~

Gathered around the table in the chamber that was serving as a makeshift seat for the council, the nobles, King and Queen all looked troubled. Robert Brackenbury still held his letter in one hand and stood from his chair with all looking to him.

"It is from the Earl of Huntingdon, Countess Katheryn's widower" he proclaimed and Eleanor made a mental note to thank William the next time she saw him. He was still grieving, which was why he was away from court, yet he did not hesitate to help them "he is staying in his lands in Wales and he has had word from some of his tenants that the Tudor has landed"

"He is sure?" Richard asked and Sir Robert nodded.
"He would not have written if he hadn't been" Eleanor remarked and the others nodded "its a warning" a heavy sigh filled the room.

"Well then, we must prepare for war" rising from his throne, Richard clasped his hands behind his back and began to slowly pace around the table, his brows furrowed in deep thought. This was the last thing they needed or wanted for that matter. Another war! Another threat to his crown and his children! To Eleanor!

"What do you want to do?" Sir Richard Radcliffe asked and Richard stilled his pacing next to a window, looking out into the courtyard where servants hurried below, some of the children laughing and playing in between them.

"I will defend my land" he said slowly, a determination in his voice that was only ever heard when he talked of war. He was a seasoned battle commander, a successful and respected one. When he talked, men listened and where he lead they followed "I want call to arms sent out to all of England, I want an army to be mustered by the months end! I want us ready to defend my crown! I want us to be ready!"

"Aye, your grace" the men chorused and he gave them a short nod before turning to Eleanor who was watching him with tear filled eyes. She was scared for him. For him, for their children. She had suspected that war would come if they took the throne since the night she had had her seeing and now it was to come true.

But he would win.
He would fight and he would win.

"What do you wish me to do?" She asked, steadying her voice and Richard walked back to his throne, sitting beside her before he looked to the rest of the council. Over the past two years they had grown to love and respect Eleanor almost as much as they did him.

At first they had rejected her authority, not used to obeying a woman's orders, but she had proved herself with swift decisions and a sharp wit and they were now devoted to her.

"I will make you regent" he announced and murmurs of approval were made around the table "you will fortify the capital and rule while I am away" she gulped a little. If she was to fortify the capital then she would be away from him! She would not be by Richard's side when she knew she needed to be! She needed to be with him yet it seemed they were destined to be at opposite ends of the country!