𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐶𝑉

~A Curse to Keep my Husband~

August 1485, Westminster Palace....

Lock the doors

Bolt the windows

Light the candles

Check the doors again

Check the windows again

Over and over Eleanor dashed around her chamber, repeating such simple actions that so much weighed upon! If a lock was not secure a door could be opened, if a window was not bolted a breeze could blow into the room and puff the life of the candles into a dark nothingness.

She had sent all her children but one back to Middleham. George.
There, his siblings would be safe and protected by those who loved and cared for them but George himself was the Prince of Wales and it was his role to be by his Mother's side now.

And so, after pushing her entourage as hard as she could through the dry fields and rocky roads, driving them mercilessly through the night like a major general in command of an army, they had made it to Westminster in a little under a week!

The city had cheered her and her son through the streets until their voices were hoarse and white rose petals had rained down upon her like a floating crown from the angels above just as it was at her coronation! That day she had been assured they were on her side and had their support. That day her determination had been set in stone, her fears pushed to the four corners of her mind and her love for her people had soared to heaven.

She, Queen Eleanor of York would protect them from the Tudors that dared to invade her lands!

And she knew exactly how to do that.

That night she had sent away her Ladies (much to their confusion) and had gathered the unlit candles of her chamber into her arms, carrying them diligently to the fireplace. One by one she had lined them up and used a piece of kindling from the fire to light their wicks until a blanket of lights danced before her eyes.

Blood magic

Her Mother had always warned her and her sisters against it for it was dangerous, more dangerous than their magic of water and air. This was magic of fire and blood, of death and destruction, spells and curses laid down to bring pain and devastation but also to protect the ones you loved dearest.

Eleanor sighed slightly and crossed herself.
She took a breath, slow and steady.
Then a second, as steady as the first.
A third and she placed a hand to her belly.

'I will keep you safe' she promised the baby that grew inside of her 'I will love you and you will grow up in my arms, beloved by all who know you'

A fourth breath and she opened her eyes again, emerald green glinting in the amber flames of the fire and the candles before her. At the fifth she took out her dagger, the same one Richard had given the day she went to Grafton, the same one used to discover her part in the plot to free the boys in the Tower.