Chapter Two

The whole mad swirl of everything that was to come began then." -Jack Kerouac, On the Road

     Even counting for the people who suddenly forgot to drive when there is even the slightest bit of precipitation, it only took about five minutes to get from Brandon's apartment to the office the next morning.  I stepped out of his blue Honda Civic and shivered as I gazed around the parking lot.  The office was at the very left end of the strip mall and barely noticeable among the other businesses it was connected to.  The buildings must have been built sometime in the last few years, because when I lived in Darkwood Falls before, all that had been in that space was a deserted field.

     Connected to office we were about to walk into was a Subway sandwich shop, a small gym in which the sign proclaimed, "women only", a Mexican restaurant, a Donut King, and at the very end, a bar called the Darkwood Falls Tavern.  To the left of the office was a small dirt road with a graveyard on the other side encased by a wrought iron gate.  I remembered that graveyard very well.  Too well. 

     Tall trees that surrounded the parking lot were now dead and leafless.  The light dusting of snow that had started in the early hours of the morning, paired with the sun now peeking out of the clouds made the parking lot look like it was covered in white sparkling glitter.

     "So, what do you think?" Brandon asked me.

     "I think it's unfair to have so many delicious food places surrounding a gym.  People are just trying to lose weight, and they have to walk out to all these tempting smells," I deflected.

     "It's presumptuous of you to assume they're all trying to lose weight.  Some of them are just trying to tone up.  Now come on, smart-ass," Brandon said.

     The two of us started toward the building, but the sound of muffled music and a buzzing in my coat made us stop.  I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket as it continued to vibrate in my hand and play "Smells like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.  When I glanced at the name, I felt that awful feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.  It was the only time in my life that I had ever been disappointed to hear a Nirvana song.

     "Let me guess; it's Matt?" Brandon glanced at his watch, then back at the office building.

     "Yes.  I need to tell him to fuck off.  Otherwise, he'll keep calling while I'm trying to work."

     Brandon tapped his foot and looked back at the office again.  He was someone who would never be late unless he was dead.

     "You go on.  I'll be right there," I said.

     He gave a quick nod before rushing off toward the entrance.  I was already starting to feel guilty for being a burden to my cousin.

     I jabbed my finger at the green "answer" button on the screen of my phone. 

     "What?!" My tone of voice surprised me.  I realized my natural reaction to anything having to do with Matt resulted in anger I must have been repressing for years.

     "Where are you?" I heard Matt's gravelly voice on the other line.

     "What do you mean 'where am I'?" I said, glancing back toward the building I was supposed to be walking in that very minute. 

     I watched a young woman come out of the Subway shop holding a little girl's hand.  I could hear the woman speaking happily as the little girl skipped along, holding a cookie in her other hand.  At that moment, I wished I were as happy and carefree as they both looked.