Chapter Eight

"I make no manner of doubt that you threw a very diamond of truth at me, though you see, it hit me so directly in the face that it wasn't exactly appreciated at first." - Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin.

     Standing in a completely dark room of a stranger's house with a man who hated me was not my idea of a fun way to spend a Friday night.  And yet, there I was.  Nick and I stood on opposite ends of the kitchen in an attempt to stay as far away from each other as possible.  The attempt was failing, though considering the kitchen was so small.  We kept throwing each other the occasional useless glares in the dark.  The silence and tension made me wish I were anywhere but there.  Well, maybe not anywhere; I preferred my situation to being set on fire . . . but only just a little.

     We had an EMF detector sitting on the kitchen table.  It was switched on, but there were no odd readings so far.  I pulled myself up to sit on the counter near the basement door, holding one of the digital thermometers in my hand, and a flashlight in the other.  Nick was leaning against the fridge holding a voice recorder.  A camera was set up on a tripod in front of the window.  Raindrops were pounding against the window, and loud gusts of wind shook it so hard I thought it might break at any moment.  The storm had finally hit. 

     The kitchen was now completely dark except for the glow of my flashlight.  The room felt colder than before, and it no longer smelled like blueberry muffins.  The smell had been replaced with the stench of anger and disappointment. 

     Nick switched on the voice recorder and held it close to his mouth.  "January 12, 2018.  Martin Residence.  Nick Chase and Shawn Nelson in the kitchen," he said.  His voice sounded cold and weary.  "Is there anyone here that would like to speak with us tonight?"

     There was silence except for the rain continuing to pound on the window.

     "Can you tell us your name?" Nick said. 

     There was only more silence.  Although, remembering what Nick said earlier that day, this was so we could play the tape back later and hear something we couldn't at that moment.

     I sighed loudly.

     "Problem?" Nick said.

     "This is stupid."

     "No, YOU'RE stupid."

     "Great comeback.  That wasn't childish at all."

     Nick spoke into the voice recorder again.  "Make a note that the irritating female voice you hear in the background is just the useless, know-it-all-red-head, and not an actual spirit."

     I scowled at him.  "Is this how it's going to be from now on?  You glaring at me in dark rooms, and occasionally insulting me?"

     "Can we just not talk?" he said.

     I fell silent again, but it didn't last long.

     "I just don't get you," I blurted out again.

     "Jesus Christ," he said rubbing his forehead in frustration.

     "I haven't done anything to you.  I've actually been pretty helpful, especially yesterday.  I don't believe for a second that what you told me about Jackie was a lie.  So, why go back to being an ass-banana to me tonight?  Did I get too close for comfort?  Were you afraid you might actually like me, or that we could be friends?"