12 - of masterpiece and huge confidence

Tuesday, 12:29 PM.

"Wait, wait... did I hear that right? The cocky and arrogant Abel Eastwood is gonna work part-time as a server?!"

"And with Mairi as well? Dude... you sure you don't want to go to the infirmary?"

These two clueless friends not only hop out of their seats — nearly toppling over their milk cartons to Abel's precious shirt — but they also had the need to elevate the pitch of their reverberating voices. It was like they were trying to broadcast the entire cafetaria of his plans, but the rumbling murmurs managed to drown out their stupid squeals.

Abel confirmed neither of their incredulous questions, throwing them his best narrowed eyes and deep frown. Their reactions were comically dramatized too; their jaws dropped open as their forks fell off their hands, while Charlotte nearly choked on her food. Do you guys think so lowly of me?

"You all made it sound like I'm too lazy to do anything," he protested. Also, please close your mouths. Thanks.

"Oh no no! Absolutely not! Why would we think like that?!" Adrian fired back, frantically gesticulating his hands in front of his friend's face. "If you were that lazy, you wouldn't even bother designing costumes for your cosplays!" He forced out some chuckles.

Hmm, ain't that familiar. I wonder who that could be.

"Yeah, he's right!" chimed the orange-head, barely finishing on her sandwich. "It's just that... you never once talked about getting a job, but then here you are. It's like something struck you all of the sudden. What the heck happened?"

Welp, this was gonna be a long explanation, so Abel inhaled a large amount of air before expelling it out of his lips.

"All thanks to my father and his good deeds," he scoffed and turned away. "That old geezer whined about how I had been squandering all of their money for 'those dress-up shit', so they're not giving me anymore." Just impersonating that man was enough to tickle his nerves. "They probably didn't know I got most of my allowance from cosplays, but they're too busy with their lives to give a shit."

Both Charlotte and Adrian gave no response; they merely glanced at each other before reverting towards their friend with their brows creased. Well, he was not really expecting comments or advice. He just wanted them to listen, and that was enough for him to release everything out.

"It's fine with me," Abel went on. "It's not like I'm gonna use their damn money. They can keep it to themselves and use it whatever they want. I can then get support from my jobs and they won't be complaining."

Now they can leave me in peace.

"Goddamn, your dad's masterpiece." Adrian shook his head. "Last time he tried getting rid of your costumes for your showcase. You even have to stow them in my room."

What a pleasant memory to recall.

"If he does that again, I swear to God he would be sorry," growled Abel as he shoved a spoonful of his mac and cheese into his mouth, hardly chewing before gulping them down. "Well, I won that showcase in a landslide. Best comeback ever, heh." He tugged one of the corners of his lips. I deserve that win. Good riddance.

Charlotte sighed. "Good lord, and here I thought he was a good dad back then."

"... Yeah. Back then," whispered the blue-head as he gazed at the tiny remains of his lunch. And then, out came the stabbing laughs of a child — the same one that had been tormenting him inside out — resonating inside his mind. Fuck, I shouldn't be zoning out like this. Get that shit away from me.