13 - of first impression and misunderstandings

Wednesday, 03:39 PM.

"Ready when you are, Mairi."

After various attempts of taming his unruly — he should have brought his wax next time — hair, Abel gradually sauntered out of the dressing room. Buttoning up the black simple shirt his manager had given him, his lips ripped into a broad grin as he welcomed the confidence blasting through his vessels.

"Took you long enough." Mairi breathed as she pulled out a box of napkins from the drawer, before she stared up at him. "For someone who firstly refused my offer, you sure do look so pumped up."

His shoulders tensed, but was that even a surprise anymore? It was yet another routine — he would inevitably come across her everyday — reminder to add to his mental list. Upon interaction with this woman, she would jump straight to her mischief.

"I-I changed my mind," he snapped back. His instincts had him divert his gaze off her, but he quickly forced his stupid self to face her. "You got a problem with that?"

"Oh, not at all. Just noting my observations." Mairi replied while she arranged the napkins into each holder, probably for the tables. "At least it's much better than being too nervous."

What? Now that was ridiculous. Why the hell should he be nervous in the first place? Not only he wouldn't leave an impactful first impression, but he wouldn't be able to compose his thoughts and do his work properly. There was no need to stand back on this one. Everything's possible if you have the courage. That's what I learned from a lot of experiences.

A few minutes later, his manager slowly briefed Abel about the duties he would be performing in his shifts. Constant communication was extremely — Jeanne had the obligation to stress that out — essential, but his smile was undefiled while he nodded assertively. Yeah, I got this. Seems something within my field of expertise.

There was one little problem though.

The fact that he had to be familiar with the menu items and the positions of the tables by heart, as a matter of fact, knocked out some bits of his composure. After all, his memorization skills... well, he would rather not discuss them. Let my history and science grades speak for themselves.

"Okay, so I was supposed to be training you but..." Jeanne tapped on her pen. "Mai volunteered to help instead. She'll teach you how to operate the POS and assist you in serving your first customers."

"Volunteered?" Abel blinked, lifting his brow. "Mairi did?"

"On your service." He nearly threw off his balance at her abrupt voice, especially when it came from right beside him. She was casually sipping an iced lemon tea before she continued, "I've trained a handful of our servers and they all turned out successful. If you don't believe me, feel free to use Jeanne and our coworkers as references."

"Wow, ain't that obvious," he retaliated while the manager chuckled. If she doesn't endorse you, she won't allow you, woman.

She didn't bother giving her thoughts on his response. "Also, don't worry too much about the menu. We don't expect you to be familiar with all of that within weeks, but perhaps your huge ego can help guide you."

He cracked up contemptuously as he crossed his arms. "Why, thank you very much, Princess. I'm looking forward to hearing your useful pointers."

"As you should," she countered. "Because I'm technically your supervisor."

"You guys get along pretty well, huh?" Amidst their bickering, their manager laughed sheepishly in between.

Abel barely had time to react when Mairi butted in almost immediately. "Yeah, and I just got to know him too."