fifteen

< Thursday 25, 2021>

{ Ashton }

It's Thanksgiving today. I never celebrate the holiday but usually KayKay does. Kay has family coming in town and they are celebrating tonight and not only did Oakley get invited, but I did too. I agreed to go even though I know it's going to be super awkward. But I asked Oakley what she wanted and she wanted me to come too.

Since we aren't going until later, I promised Oakley that she and I would have a day together first. She had come to me last night and told me she felt like we haven't gotten to hang out in a while and that broke my heart. I have been working a lot lately so she's been with one of the girls more often than usual.

As I thought of things we could do, I realized most places would be closed. So, I decided on taking her to this small cove I found one day. It's secluded but has good waves and small little tide pools.

I got myself up and ready first and got us a little picnic lunch made for the day. Then I headed into Oakley's room.

I opened the door and headed in. I turned off her nightlight since the sun peeking through the blinds was enough to light the room.

I made my way to her bed and sat on the edge. She was curled up, her hair looking wild, with Pluto and her blankie tucked into her chest. Her lips were slightly parted as she breathed, occasionally a cute little snore coming out.

It sounds creepy, but I just watched her sleep for a bit. I was thinking as I did so. She's growing up. She won't be this little for too much longer. Soon she won't want to hang out with her dad all the time and she won't want cuddles before bed. I don't think I'm ready for the day that happens.

When I finally decided it was time to wake her up, I lightly rubbed her back. Her face scrunched and she let out a little whine before rolling on her back. Her hands formed fists and came up to rub her eyes. As they opened a yawn escaped her lips.

"Good morning baby girl" I smiled. She smiled too and held her arms up,

"Cuddle"

I immediately laid down next to her and pulled her into my arms,

"Always a cuddle for you Oaks"

****

After a morning of cuddles, I finally got Oakley dressed and we headed out.

I pulled my truck into a small gravel lot off the side of the highway and got out. I tossed the backpack that contained extra clothes, towels, and our lunch on my back then helped Oakley out, gripping her hand so she didn't run out into the road.

We headed down the small path in which I ended up carrying Oakley because of the steepness. Once we got to the main little area, I put her back down and let her run.

I got us to the area I intended on and got some of our stuff set up and put sunscreen on Oakley,

"Dis so cool" Oakley grinned,

"I know!" I smiled back and took her hand, taking her over to the little tide pools, "This is called a tide pool Oaks"

Oakley let go of my hand and bent down,

"There's a bunch we can look at," I told her, "Maybe we can find some crabs and starfish"

She excitedly gasped and I bent down next to her. I immediately spotted something so I reached in and grabbed it, pulling out a small hermit crab,

"What dat?" Oakley questioned, clinging onto my arm as she looked at the crab in the palm of my hand,

"A crab," I told her, "You want to hold it?"