Chapter 4

The almost unaudible sound of a groan had me snapping out of my thoughts and turning to the man on the bed as he groggily opened his eyes.

"Hello there," I softly greeted as I got up from my study area and made my way to the bed," How are you feeling?" I asked as I awkwardly stood next to the bed with my hand aching to shoot to his forehead to check his temperature. During the time he had been asleep, I found myself feeling very worried for him against my will so I just want to be sure he's okay.

"Better," He groggily said," Just a bit thirsty again."

"There's a plate of food next to you, I hope it helps," I sighed as I made my way back to the table to grab my chair just so I could drag it over to the bed and place it on my small carpet before sitting down and looking at him," What's your name?"

"And finally she asks," He feigned victory as he raised his arms with a wide grin, before smiling down at me," It's Ivan, Miss Mabel Lewis."

My eyes turned to the size of saucers as a thin line of fear settled into my stomach," How do you know my name?" I squinted my eyes accusingly rather than showing the obvious worry and fear that plagued my body.

"Soulestes automatically know their soulmate's identities the minute we set our eyes on them or even when we feel them near, but since you're human, this technique doesn't apply to you, Little Love." He explained as he looked at the plate of food longingly.

I wordlessly took the plate from the nightstand and placed it on his lap.

"Eat." I directed.

"You are not trying to poison me, are you?" He cocked a questioning eyebrow at me.

"No, I wouldn't have the guts, besides, if you are a supernatural being as you claim to be, then I'm sure something like poison wouldn't work on you." I shrugged as I watched him pull of the plastic wrap that had collected drops of water from the steam created by the once hot contents on the plate.

"Well, that's where you are wrong. Poison would work on me but you Missy couldn't kill me even if you wanted to. Or at least not directly. Your food can cure and heal me so it would automatically kill the poison in it but somebody else's food could kill me," He nonchalantly explained as he grabbed the bread questioningly. "What is this?"

"A bread, cheese, mayo and egg sandwich, why?" I curiously asked.

"Because I've never seen this yellow substance or this kind of bread before." He nonchalantly shrugged before taking a large bite of his sandwich which made me nervous for some reason. I hope it's not too bad.

"So, about this soulmate thing. I don't quite believe you." I sighed as he chewed which might have not been the best thing to do considering the sudden coughing that wrecked his body as he choked on the food. I immediately sprang up from my chair and soothingly rubbed his back. Or maybe I was supposed to hit it.

"You don't believe me?" He hoarsely asked before clearing his throat.

"Partially," I corrected as I moved away from him and made my way back to my seat."Your speed is currently the only thing I can say is out of this world, aside that, you're normal. For all I know, you could have feigned your fainting earlier on." I explained, which sounded desperate in my own ears because for some reason, I actually believed him. I just didn't want to accept it until I saw something big. Something that would make me feel sure.

"That's unfortunate." He sighed and the next thing I know is he has a knife in his hand. One of my cooking knives to be exact.

"What are you doing with that?" I cautiously asked. Please don't do anything stupid, I don't want to be the witness of someone killing themselves right in front of me.