Thank You, King Ickyticktick-Ah-Ah

Liberty Legion Headquarters Rec RoomThe Statue of LibertyNew York City

The Statue of Liberty
New York City

"Well Creep, you didn't make the list again this year."

In a rare moment of downtime, The Whippet thumbed through the latest People magazine. Slender and sleek, with the cowl of his navy blue skin-tight speedsuit pulled back, he let out a long sigh like he was settling in to do homework.

"The Gun is number thirty-four. Matron of Honor is ten. I made number five. The Liberty Legion is representing but I still can't believe they picked that alien Amrodan for number one. I mean, nobody even knows if it's male or female! It can't even say!"

Finding the page with the blue-skinned Amrodan, he leaned forward on the rec room couch to show it to The Crimson Creep, who was dripping steadily into a bucket on the floor.

"Dude, can you see?"

The Creep gave a thumbs-up with one of its T-Rex-like arms. Since it had no eyes, the question was a fair one. The Creep was a floating bloody meatloaf the size of a Shetland Sheepdog, with a gaping toothless mouth running the full width of its body. Even superheroes found it hard to figure out.

"So what do you think?" asked The Whippet.

The Creep signed with a salute, bringing a hand downward from the top of its body.

Whippet leaned back, looking closely at the photo. "A dude, huh? Maybe. Maybe those things aren't boobs but they're just so...weird." He slapped the magazine into his lap. "You thirsty, bud?"

The Creep nodded, and there was a flash of blue light. When it subsided, The Whippet was already back from the downstairs kitchen, popping open a drink can, which immediately spewed its contents on the couch.

"Mothersonofa!" he said. There was another flash and he popped back with another can and some paper towels. "I always forget to take it easy with the sodas. Major Expansion's going to be pissed off that I got it on the couch again."

The Creep watched patiently as The Whippet cleaned up the spill. When he finished, he sat again with a can in his hand, and used his super speed to gently tap the can a hundred times with a merry tink-ta-tink ta-tink. He grabbed the drink tab, winced, and pulled. The soda popped open with no mess. He handed it to The Creep.

"Whew! Here you go, my man."

The Creep accepted the drink and took a sip. It then brought the drink down very, very slowly. Then it stopped moving altogether, except for the steady drip, drip, drip, into its bucket.

The Whippet leaned toward his friend and peered uneasily. "You ok, Creep?"

Floating but perfectly still, The Creep was indiscernible. Whippet scowled and reached for the Liberty Legion communicator on his wrist, but The Creep grabbed his hand before he could activate it.