CHAPTER 3

Merlin didn't even look around properly before casting the spell to polish Arthur's sword. He just didn't care. He wanted to get back to Gaius as soon as he could to tell him about his new 'vision' and ask the wise physician's opinion.

When he finished, he rushed back to Gaius, not even bothering to find Arthur and ask him if he could leave.

"Gaius! Gaius, it happened again! The vi-" But as he just burst the door open, he found Arthur and the physician sitting at the table. They seemed to be in a deep conversation.

"Merlin! Don't you have work to do? Chores?"

"No, Sire. All is done."

Artur looked surprised. So surprised that for a mere moment he forgot to hide his appreciation. "You know, for the clumsy servant that you are, you keep surprising me, Merlin. But tell me, how in the name of Camelot have you managed to polish my armour this fast, when last time you kept working for hours! I could barely throw you out of my room."

Knowing the answer, Gaius shot a disapproving glance at Merlin, then got up and turned around to sort his herbs that he had previously put on the counter.

"I- well, last time your armour was very dirty."

Both Arthur and Gaius started laughing at this response, causing Merlin to smile a little. Though all of them knew that it had been a lie, Arthur left Merlin alone, not pushing the topic any further.

"Anyway, why were you in such a hurry? You almost broke the door."

Merlin shifted his feathery weight from one leg to another, a nervous expression creeping up on his face. "Er, I was hungry."

Arthur's brows furrowed then shot up to the line of his hair. According to his dubious expression, he now became more and more sure that Merlin had been hiding something from him. But before he could have said anything, Gaius slammed a plate down on the table and indicated Merlin to sit down. The young warlock complied without a word, and settled himself on the chair next to Arthur. Their knees bumped into each other.

***

Merlin couldn't wait for Arthur to leave. He wanted to talk to Gaius, but that pompous prat didn't seem to be in a hurry. Actually, why was he there?

"Can I bring you something, Sire?" Gaius bowed.

"Oh no, Merlin will-" but before finishing the sentence, Arthur looked at Merlin, who was hungrily shovelling food into his mouth. His expression softened. "Yes. Some sandwiches would be fine."

Gaius bowed again and prepared sandwiches for Arthur and himself.

Merlin stopped eating. Arthur's polite behaviour, the fact that he had spared him and the domestic scene that unfolded in front of him with Arthur having dinner with them, at their table, caused some strange movement to appear in his guts. He stared at the Prince, who stared back at him with a barely noticeable smile.

Suddenly Merlin forgot about his constant fear of accidentally revealing himself, he forgot about his visions, as well as he forgot about everything that had ever happened to him. In that moment only Gaius, Arthur and he existed. Nothing else.

The blissful moment stretched into minutes and into hours. He heard himself blabbing, saw Arthur laughing with all his heart and felt Gaius's knowing look on himself constantly. Though he could not figure out what was that that Gaius seemed to know.

That night he didn't care that Arthur hadn't left, that he couldn't talk to Gaius nor that he had drunk too much. He went to bed happy.