"Where are they?"

Sam smiled lazily, leaning back in her chair "wouldn't you like to know"

Lisa sighed, rubbing her forehead. She had been at this for five hours and she was exhausted. What pissed her off even more was that Sam didn't seem to be breaking a sweat. She was relaxed, like she didn't have a care in the world, like she wasn't looking at a ten-year prison sentence if she was lucky.

"Lis, why don't you just let this go?" Sam was no longer smiling, "this doesn't even involve you"

"I'm a police officer" Lisa said, exasperated, "this most definitely does involve me"

"Yeah, but you've never handled missing persons cases before"

"I don't want you to go to jail, Sam, I know they're alive because you're not a killer and if you tell me where they are right now, you can get a reduced sentence for your cooperation"

Sam scoffed, "I don't need you to save me, thank you very much"

"They're innocent people, why are you doing this?"

She hesitated for a minute and then stood up, "if I'm not being charged with anything, I think I can leave"

Lisa gripped the edges of the table, "you know they'll find something soon and this offer won't last that long"

Sam was silent for a minute, then she met Lisa's gaze, "come with me."

                                                                       ****************

"Are you insane?" Max looked at her incredulously, "she could kidnap you too, or worse, kill you."

Lisa tucked her gun and badge in her pocket, "Sam's not dumb enough to kill me when there are over ten witnesses who saw me leave with her." She paused, "she might be leading me to where she's possibly kept them"

"If they're not dead already" Max muttered,

Lisa shook her head, "I know Sam, she wouldn't do something like that"

Max watched her go, side by side with Sam who turned and gave him a wink before disappearing through the door.

Lisa fastened her seatbelt, frowning as Sam didn't do the same. She stared pointedly at her till she put the seatbelt on, gracing her with a dirty look.

Sam drove slowly, and Lisa wasn't sure if she was trying to annoy her, or she had a newfound respect for safety. Definitely option one, she thought, gazing out the window, well two can play at that game.

"I got rid of them" Sam said suddenly, her attention still focused on the road.

"No, you didn't" Lisa said, shifting in her seat, "you don't have the stomach for killing, stop lying to me and just tell me the truth"

"It is the truth" Sam said, softly, "but you have to understand I just wanted to help people"

"You... you just confessed to five murders, how is that helping people? I can't believe..." Lisa took a deep breath, "stop the car"

Sam hit the accelerator, "before you arrest me, there's something you should see"

Lisa felt the gun strapped to her side, "stop the car. Now"

Sam didn't flinch, "if you shoot me, you'll never have all the answers" her voice softened, "and you'll find that dealing with the repercussions of shooting a friend isn't something they cover in the academy"

Lisa dropped her hand, "we're not friends and apparently I don't know you as well as I thought I did"

The ride was a silent one and Lisa found herself feeling grateful when they finally stopped in front of a farmhouse. She blinked. She recognized the place; it was the house of one of the missing people.