"I like the red pumps better"

Emily raised an eyebrow, "are you sure?"

Lana stopped adjusting her dress in the mirror and gave her a look, "yes, I'm sure"

Emily carefully slipped on the pumps, marvelling at her reflection in the mirror, "it does look good"

"Of course, it does" Lana turned to face her sister, "I know my stuff"

"I can't believe you're allowing me to come with you to the gala" Emily twirled around, "I've always wanted to go to one"

"Just remember the rules" Lana rifled through her purse, "don't talk to anyone over the age of fourteen, if you're going to the bathroom, make sure you tag along with a group of women and stay in the main hall at all times"

"I got it, jeez" Emily grumbled, "I'm 16, not 6"

"Could have fooled me, Miss 'please cut the crusts off my sandwiches'

Emily made a face at her, "what about jewellery?"

"There are some necklaces in the box in that drawer"

Emily opened it, choosing a pretty silver one from the pile. Her sister helped her hook it around her neck and gave her an approving look, "you look like a teenage princess, who lost her crown because of how careless she is"

"I don't want to look like a princess, I want to look like a formerly evil queen who reluctantly redeemed herself for the side of good"

"You read too much"

"Damn right I do"

"Language"

"Don't be a hypocrite Lana, I've seen you swearing at the toaster, if sister Mary was here, she would have your mouth washed out with soap"

Lana shrugged, "it was being a little b...never mind"

Emily was just about to shut the drawer when she noticed a smaller black box in the corner. She opened it without a second thought and held up the silver charm bracelet nestled inside, "hey I could wear this"

Her sister turned and her expression changed from surprise to shock to calm in a matter of few seconds, "you can't wear that"

"Why not?" Emily slipped it on, and it jingled on her wrist, "these tiny tree charms are so pretty"

"I said no" Lana took it off her wrist and returned it back to the box, "its getting late, we need to leave, go check if I've turned all the taps off in the bathroom"

Emily knew it was useless to argue. When her sister used that tone of voice, she meant business. She went to the bathroom and decided to put on some extra perfume for good measure.

She opened the door of the cabinet and found it empty. Shaking her head, she went to her room and opened her cupboard to find it empty too. She stormed into her sister's room, "where's all my stuff?"

"What are you talking about?"

"My cupboard's empty, the bathrooms empty, what's going on?"

Lana sighed, "we're moving"

"What?"

"We're going to Italy"

"For a vacation?"

"No, permanently"

"I can't just leave, my friends are here, my life is here"

"You don't have a choice"

"Yeah, I do. I can stay with Maddy for two years and then get a job and rent an apartment when I'm legal"