The Egg Hatches

Suddenly, dozens of small, furry creatures flee from the object that suddenly dropped from nowhere. These are tree dwelling mammals called lemurs and this group has lived on this island for generations.

Luckily for the egg, instead of hitting solid ground, it has landed on a soft pile of moss on a large tree branch. Futher along the same branch, three lemurs, a female and two males, one elderly, peer through the leaves at the strange object, the female being the most curious, the elderly male being more cautious.

The younger of the males, with yellow fur and eyes asks,

"Yar, what is it?"

The older male, with white and brown fur, replies with,

"I don't know."

Then, the female moves forward, the younger male jumping over Yar to try and see better.

"Plio get back here! We don't know what it is!"

Yar calls to the female lemur. Plio doesn't seem to hear him, and slowly approaches the strange object, a voice telling her to be careful sounding from above.

Plio looks to where the egg fell from, slowly approaching it, other lemurs watching tensely, Yar and the other male watching closely.

Just as Plio arrives at the egg, it cracks, pieces being pushed out. Plio, after flinching back a bit, realising that there is something alive inside the strange object, peels back the pieces of the shell, seeing the baby inside.

After freeing it from the shell, she picks it up, cradling it in her arms as she calls out,

"Dad, get over here!"

Yar, who we now know is Plio's father, slowly begins to approach his daughter, when the yellow furred male tries to pass him. He grabs the younger lemurs tail, scolding him.

"Zini, it's not safe!"

The newly identified Zini groans, clearly not happy about this,

"Oh, I always have to go when stuff's happening."

Yar huffs after the young lemur, before slowly approaching his daughter again.

"Well, what is it?"

He asks, nervously, cringing back a bit.

"It was an egg."

Plio answers, turning to her father, a baby Iguanadon with bluish top scales and a pale underbelly cradled in her arms.

"Look!"

Yar gasps, clearly not realising that the baby is a gentle herbivore.

"What?"

Plio asks, cradling the baby close, her motherly instincts taking over. The baby smiles, snuggling into her warmth.

"It's a cold-blooded monster from across the sea, vicious, flesh eating!"

The baby makes a bleh sound at the last part, which Yar returns.

"Looks like a baby to me."

Plio says, an eyebrow raised at her father.

"Babies grow up, you keep that thing, one day we'll turn our backs and it'll be picking us out of its teeth!"

A gasp sound behind him, and he turns to see two young lemurs.

"Things like that eat things like us as snacks."

Yar says, scaring the young ones.

"So, what do we do?"