Chapter Three

Rosalie Gray blew out a long, unsure breath before knocking on Tessa's door

        Rosalie Gray blew out a long, unsure breath before knocking on Tessa's door. Her stomach churned nervously as she waited for the door to open. The thought of telling her sister the discovery she had made about their family was nothing short of terrifying. With everything that had been happening these past few months, she wasn't sure how Tessa would fare with another blow. Yes, she had been unnervingly calm about everything... but this somehow felt different. This was a matter of family. "Tessa!" Rosalie called from her place in front of the old wooden door. "It's Rose, would you please open the door!" she continued on, a bit impatiently. When there was still no response and the door remained closed, Rosalie scowled. Where could Tessa have gone?
"She's in the drawing room." the familiar drawling voice of Will stated from behind her, prompting Rosalie to whirl around.
Rosalie's face was blank, feigning indifference as they looked at one another. His hair was tousled and a bit windblown, his cheeks rosy. Had he gone for a walk? What do I care? What Will does is no concern of mine. "And you know that how?" Rosalie asked, her tone more clipped than she intended.
"Ever the charmer, Rose." Will chuckled. "Not even a good morning? Or perhaps even a thank you?"
"Pleasantries imply friendship." Rosalie said with an aloof shrug. "And that, Mr. Herondale is something we do not have."
Will's body stiffened and the muscles in his jaw clenched ever so slightly. "Are you ever not going to be cross with me?"
"Cross with you?" she repeated, laughing.
"That is what I said, isn't it?" Will frowned. "You only call me that when I have done something to upset you."
Slinking backward, Rosalie pressed her back against Tessa's door and sighed. This was not the conversation she envisioned herself having this morning. Or ever, for that matter. It felt as though something had settled between the two of them; a silent understanding that they would never discuss... what had happened between them... ever again. An agreement to avoid conversation with one another whenever possible. Yet here he stood, breaking that agreement. "What do you expect?" she asked, bracing a steadying hand against her stomach to keep her breathing even. "I gave you my heart and you stomped on it. That is not something I can easily forgive, nor is it something I will ever forget."
"Rose-"
She lifted a finger and he stopped, the words dying in this throat. "I cannot look at you without hearing those vile things you said to me. Yet when I look at you, I also hear the words you said to my sister." Will's face paled. "Yes, I know all about the conversation you had with my sister. I know how you propositioned her to be nothing more than your whore." a look of fury passed through her light eyes. And she regretted her next words before they even left her mouth. "Perhaps if your father had been more involved in your upbringing you would understand how disgusting your actions are."
Will's eyes darkened and his hands clenched at his sides. But he said nothing. He just looked at her; his eyes showing a mixture of hurt and anger.
"Will I-I'm sorry." Rosalie said, her heart contracting. "I don't know why I said that... I-I didn't mean it."
He nodded and blinked, erasing all traces of what he felt; his face returning to that unreadable mask. "I despise myself for hurting you." Will admitted quietly.
Was this his form of an apology, Rosalie wondered. It certainly felt like one... but could she forgive him? Was forgiveness even hers to give? Will had said horrible things to her, and there was a time that those words had hurt her so. Yet now she struggled to recall those words; the only words she remembered with perfect clarity were the ones he said to Tessa. So no, his forgiveness was not hers to accept. "If this is your attempt at an apology..." Rosalie began quietly, "You are giving it to the wrong person. All that has transpired between us is in the past and requires no apology. But Tessa... she needs to hear it."
Will stayed quiet and his eyes drifted down to the floor. He appeared to be considering her words and was taking great care in crafting his response.
"I am not entirely sure if friendship is possible for us," Rosalie went on when the silence became too much for her. "But that does not mean that we cannot be civil. With everything that has happened and with everything yet to come, feuding will get us nowhere..."
At this, Will met her gaze. "You are kinder than I gave you credit for." was all he said before informing her on why he had come. Apparently, Tessa had decided to use her...ability... to attempt to peer into the mind of Aloysius Starkweather. Whoever that was. But this decision would require her to leave the Institute. Rosalie knew Tessa would need to find an object with a strong enough tie to this man that would allow her to Change. But that did not mean Rosalie had to like the idea. Anyone with eyes would see that she rather detested the idea. The glimmer of amusement in Will's eyes had told her as much.
"When?" she asked through her teeth.
"We leave in the morning." Will answered.
Tomorrow. Of course, they would be going so soon; with the deadline looming over all of their heads, there was no time to lose. If this Aloysius Starkweather had any information on Mortmain, they needed it. Desperately.
Will loosed a sigh. "Let me guess..." he hummed, "You're coming with us."
Rosalie was half inclined to smile at him but refrained as she nodded. Her face remained stony and resolute.
"I expected nothing less." Will chuckled and shook his head. "You are as fierce as a lion when it comes to your sister."