1. Azmuth's jokes aren't funny

Black. It was all I could see, at least I thought so since I didn't feel like my eyes were open. What was I doing before I was there? Trying to remember just gave me a headache, however small fragments crossed my mind. Blood, there was blood, whose? Mine? Yes, true I was injured while I was fighting in the Null Void and then... What happened? I couldn't remember. My thoughts were interrupted by a voice echoing in the darkness.

—Minimum energy reached. Starting protocol 001LE—. Where did that voice come from? I'm sure I heard it before.

Red lines in circuit patterns that I have seen on the Omnitrix since I was 10 years old, covered everything. I was finally able to see around me, an immense black infinity with red lines. But I didn't feel my body, or where it should be, I just knew I was there, floating somewhere. Another of the Omnitrix's failures, I wanted to think, at any moment Azmuth would show up to scold me for putting his creation at risk. Something told me it wasn't something like that this time.

I don't know how long I was there, minutes, hours maybe? The loneliness was starting to bother me. Voices brought me out of my thoughts. I heard how they called me.

"Ben, please open your eyes"

"Ben"

"Come on bud, wake up."

"Tennyson"

A strong green light flooded the space.

—Load complete. Rebooting systems —the green light began to fade giving way to some silhouettes that began to turn in front of me —Systems rebooted, online and working properly. Starting OBT.

—Ben!— I could see my grandfather approaching and he wrapped me in a hug, a little dazed and confused I returned the hug.

Gwen was on the other side of the bed and was looking at me like she was seeing a ghost, bags under her eyes betraying how little she had slept recently. Kevin next to her didn't look any better. Who would have thought that Kevin Levin could look so broken but not because of a fight like the ones he usually gets into. Still he tried to make a smile when he looked at me. Rook beside him looked very relieved but it was also noticeable that he had slept little. I did not expect that someone who cares so much about his physical condition would allow himself to reach that point of exhaustion.

—Thank God, Ben— my grandfather's voice brought me out of my thoughts— we thought we had lost you.

—Lost? Wait what happened to the fight? We won? or we'll have to prepare a contra—a twinge in the back of my neck made me shudder. I moved my hand to the origin. Cold to the touch, with my fingers I could feel metallic lines stretching around some circles.

—I wouldn't touch that if I were you, Ben Tenyson— Azmuth jumped on my bed, I could swear he looked older and worried? an expression I didn't think he was capable of do— Could you leave me alone with the kid for a few minutes?

My grandfather sighed, nodding, heading to the door. Gwen gave me a quick hug and followed him. Kevin, who had been silent, approached me.

—It's good to have you back, Tenyson— he said before walking out the door.

—See you later, Ben—. Rook put out a fist and I smiled.

—Let's go get some smoothies when they let me out of here, I'm thirsty—. I smiled and we bumped fists.

—Do I already have your full attention?— Azmuth looked very impatient.

—Sorry, what did you want to tell me?

—I'll say it without covering, Benjamin Tennyson —there it is, here comes Azmuth's speech on how to take better care of other people's things and— You're dead—. I felt a shiver run down my spine going up to the place where those strange metal things were.