Chapter 20

Storm

"Yo, congratulations man! How do you feel?" I give Jay a pat on the back. We've been friends since like we were like eleven and I never thought I'd see the day where he'd become a dad.

He chuckles. "Alright. I still feel the same. It's a boy." I smile. "Nice man. How's Darcy doing?"

"She's sleeping now. I hope she'll be okay. It was so horrible to see her in such pain." I nod. "Don't worry. She's a superwoman now." Coral approaches us with a small bundle in her arms. "Wait, is that him?" I ask, immediately trying to see the baby. "Calm down would you, before you make him cry." I roll my eyes. "I won't make him cry." I tell her as I look at the sleeping baby.

"He looks cute. He's so tiny though." Coral clicks her tongue. "Obviously." She holds him out to Jay and Jay takes him carefully in his arms. "I can't believe it. This is my son." His eyes never leave the baby's.

"Thank goodness it's a boy. When he's older we can teach him how to shoot the zombies." Says Duncan who looks over Jay's shoulder at the baby. "Oh you're such a freaking pain." Says Coral. "We could still teach it how to shoot if it were a girl." Says Ruby.

"We're not gonna teach him how to shoot. It's bad enough that he's been born in a zombie apocalypse." Says Jay. Duncan grunts. "Does anyone want sandwiches? I'll be happy to make some." Offers Silas and we all nod.

"It feels so surreal you know? I haven't even known him for a day and I'm already so in love with him." Says Jay. "What do you think Darcy will say? Last time we talked she didn't seem that happy about the baby." Says Coral. "Yeah I know." He says softly. "For real? I thought she'd be happy." I say. "Well obviously not. Imagine waking up pregnant in a zombie apocalypse."

I look at the baby again. He looks so cute and tiny, I can't imagine anyone not wanting him. "Would you like to hold him?" Jay offers. "What? No I'm good. I've never held a baby before." That's a lie.

I've held my sister when she was a baby but that's different. She's my sister. This baby isn't related to me and I don't trust myself to be careful with him. "Oh come on, you'll be fine." He insists. "Plus I know you've held your baby sister." I chuckle at the fact that he remembers. I hold my arms out and he places the baby in my arms. He feels so light and so tiny. I make sure to hold him close to my chest. "See? There you go."

After a while, Silas and Brandon hand out sandwiches to everyone. I'm craving fast food so much. "So what now? Should we just stay here?" Asks Silas. "I'm gonna go check on Darcy." Coral says before she puts her plate down and walks away. "Aren't we supposed to go to the hospital?" I ask. "But we need weapons. We'll have to go to the police station." Answers Jay.

"We can't all go. Especially with the new addition." Says Silas. "So what? We just leave Darcy and the baby here?" Asks Jay. "No. I'm saying some of us should go out to get weapons, then we can meet back here." Coral returns. "Darcy's awake. She wants the baby." I spot Jay's face light up. "Is she alright?" He asks as I hand the sleeping baby over to Coral. She nods. "Yeah. She seems fine."

She leaves again and Duncan appears. "So bigfoot, what's our next step?"

"The police station. I think all us guys should go."

"Woah, what? You're saying we should leave the girls here?" Asks Jay. "It's not a bad idea. They'll be safe here and Ruby has a knife if anything should happen." I tell him, hoping to ease his nerves. "I can stay with them if you'd like." Offers Brandon.

"He does now a lot about babies so he can help Darcy." I say. "Fine." Jay grumbles. "Let me talk to Darcy before we leave." He walks off. Duncan leaves too but comes back with weapons. He hands me a hammer. "These are some stuff I found at the store. Use it until we get the guns."