Chapter 15: Aftermath

Five days ago...

Knox heaved a deep sigh, before taking long strides towards the Duchess' chamber. Last night, the town was in complete chaos, he heard from the knights that a man tried to assassinate a noble man that caused panic to everyone. He recalled all the happenings that night which only gave him the headache.

Knox was peacefully strolling along the halls of the Duchy when he saw the carriage of the Duchess hurriedly arriving from a distance. As a butler who had long served the Duchy, he felt something odd which made him rush towards the entrance to welcome their arrival. The servants he would pass by were shocked by the sudden actions of the butler.

By the time he made it outside of the Duchy, the carriage was already there and the Duchess has stepped out of the vehicle. His eyes searched for Lara, who should be beside the Duchess to aid her. There was also no sign of the Duchess' personal body guard, Reagan.

Knox frowned, his instincts are telling him something bad happened. However, he is sure that the Duchess’ could never be harmed. After all, he gathered all the best knights to accompany her. He slowly approached the Duchess, with a confused expression and bewildered mind.

"Your grace, what made you go home early? You should have stayed longer and enjoyed the event."

Knox asked but to no avail, the Duchess did not respond. Now that he is face to face with her, Knox noticed the pale complexion of the Duchess.

"Sir, an assassination happened in the plaza." Gavin, one of the Knights answered.

Assassination?!!

Knox' heart nearly jumped out of his chest, his silver eyes formed two big circles from hearing the Knight’s statement. Some maids who managed to welcome the Duchess’ arrival gasped from what they heard. Knox examined the Duchess looking for any signs of injury, luckily the Duchess was unscratched.

"I believe someone hired an assassin to kill a noble man, luckily he was saved by the Duchess." The knight added with a hint of pride in his voice.

Knox was even more shocked from his statement, his silver eyes grew wider than they already are that anytime his eyeballs would pop out.

"Your grace—"

He was about to confirm the knight’s statement to the Duchess, however, Knox noticed how Eloise avoided his gaze while her hands trembled. He decided that it would be best to just send the Duchess to her chamber. He removed his coat to wrap it around the Duchess, before asking some of the servants to escort her toward her bedroom.

Knox silently watched the Duchess' back as she was being escorted by the servants before returning his attention to the knights.

Another sigh escaped the butler’s mouth, he had been staring at the door of Eloise's bedroom. He gathered all his courage before managing to knock on the Duchess' door. All the thinking is not helping him calm down.

“Your grace, are you awake already?” Knox asked, there was a long pause. Knox hesitated on knocking again but eventually the Duchess answered.

"Yes, Knox. Give me a few minutes to gather myself.” Eloise answered which sounded a bit hoarse.

Her grace must be tired.

“If you don’t mind, I could just send your breakfast in bed.” The butler commented.

After the events last night, he doesn't want to strain his mistress and put her well-being in harm's way.

“No, its fine. I’ll be joining the breakfast hall in a minute.” Eloise answered.