Chapter 29: A Knight's Affection (2)

Eloise was taken aback by his words. Later on, she found herself smiling with him. She haven't realized until today that she grew fond of this knight, but it wasn't bad at all.

It was not that long since she hosted a banquet for the knights and she was cowering in their towering presence. Never did she thought she will grew accustomed of someone in the Duchy other than Lara and Knox. Her childhood clearly taught her how humans can act like monsters regardless of the relationship they have with the other.

"I'll look forward to it then, Sir Farrell. The day we can trust each other a bit more."

Eloise also glanced at the clear blue sky above them. It looked very tranquil and serene. Looking back, the last memory of her death was also this same vast sky. Leaning on a tree and waiting for her last breath, but still, the person she last thought about was him. Every time she recalled this memory, her body shivered in fear and her mind felt restless.

"There is one person that I truly cared about. But at the same time, I was scared to be with that person."

Farrell just stared at her as if he was waiting for her to continue.

"I was terrified of the future ahead of us. I was full of doubt because of something I've experienced. But lately, I was confused of his actions. He betrayed me and I know I shouldn't trust him but I also feel lost when he acts differently around me."

"Then why don't you try struggling? Sometimes, it's not bad to let yourself be swept by the currents. You see, it might have a better ending than you thought?"

Eloise was taken aback by his words. But Farrell just gave him a tight-lip smile as he stare back at her.

"Instead of avoiding that person, you should try to get to know him so you can perceive if that person can earn your trust. If he was still there after you kept pushing him away, maybe that person also cares for you."

His smile changed into his usual playful smirk and Eloise' s sapphire eyes widened into circles at his next words.

"The Duke is such a difficult person to understand, right?"

Farrell laughed hard seeing her reaction, his hand was even placed in his abdomen and tears started spilling in the corner of his eyes.

"It's just like archery, you see? We tend to try too hard to aim and end up missing the target. And in goes the same in life as well. As we end up becoming more calculative and mindful of what we do, we end up spoiling and messing up."

Eloise fell silent of what she heard. She knew Farrell has a point and those words struck deep inside her chest. But giving her trust wasn't something she can grant that easily after what she had been through.

"Sometimes, it's not too bad to bet on fate."

"It gives me goosebumps hearing you talk about fate when you have the reputation of a player."

Farrell scoffed. "Women fawning all over me don't warrant me as a player."

"You and Reagan both attracts women in the territory in a different way."

"Hey, that man was too stiff on women. Please don't compare me with him, Your Grace." His brows knotted in displeasure and waved his hand in the air. "That reminds me, I haven't seen him around you today."

"I sent him an errand at the Eir District."

Reagan was acting strange since the Duke's group left for the subjugation. Knox said that he was upset and worried for the Lord since it was the first time he was not able to join them in battle.

Reagan had always been one of the most loyal subordinates of the Duke. Even in their past life, Eloise remembers him as the Duke's shadow who was always ready to draw his sword for anyone who goes against Nathaniel. Now that he had been her personal guard, she got to know his kindness and selflessness apart from his unmatched loyalty. And she felt bad for being the reason he was left out.