Chapter Twenty-One: Ice-Cream and a Two Stubborn People

{———}

   Marinette found herself anxiously awaiting for her ride to the ice-cream shop.She had no clue how Damian would act after the fight.

  They hadn't talked at all after that night, not even a nod of acknowledgment had passed between the two of them, though, they tended to pass by each other in the hallway quite frequently because Marinette normally got to school earlier so she wouldn't be late. The two even shared a lot of classes together, but none of this brought them to talk to each other.

And, if any of the past facts were any indication, Marinette could guess that any small talk during the project wouldn't go anywhere. She figured that after the project, things would go back to how they normally did between them.

Marinette glanced at the clock in the front of the room and let out a low sigh, she still had fifteen more minutes of class. This period was her last one as well. Soon after, she would have to meet up with Damian at the ice-cream shop.

A feather-light tap on her shoulder snapped Marinette from her thoughts. She quickly whipped her head around and looked up to find her teacher, looking at her with a smile.

"I love your design, Marinette, is this going to be what you use for your project?" Her teacher asked in her calm voice.

Marinette looked down to the paper she had been absentmindedly sketching on the whole period. Although it was sloppy, and she would definitely have to re-sketch the design before she was satisfied with it, it looked fairly nice. It was high-low romper that had nice designs that got more and more noticeable towards the neckline of the dress. Marinette could imagine it having a nice ombre effect that went from red, or green to blue. It was perfect for the upcoming project in Art class.

"Yes, I think so, but I'll have to make a more neat sketch tomorrow," Marinette replied quickly, her mind not on the subject at hand.

Just then the bell rang, making Marinette rush up and scramble for her backpack. Wishing her teacher a good day, she left the classroom without another word.

She then sped-walked towards the limo, wanting to be the first one at the ice-cream shop. She  had went ahead and found some ideas for the project, as well as going ahead and briefly looking at each one. She had wrote a small amount of notes on each subject.

Jagged and Penny were both busy that afternoon, so their driver was picking up Marinette today.

The entire ride, Marinette fiddled nervously with her pencil. A thousands different scenarios of how it could end running through her mind, all of which ending distastefully. Marinette wasn't afraid to admit that she was slightly worried about what would happen during the next few hours. Marinette was focused on talking about nothing but the essay at hand.

Marinette got out the limo, thanked the driver, and walked into the small ice-cream shop. She looked around at the tables before ordering a vanilla ice-cream. She then seated herself at a table and silently awaited her partner.

{———}

  Not five minutes later, Damian arrived through the glass double doors of the shop. Silently, he walked up to the table and sat down.

"Do you want to order something before we start?" Marinette asked kindly, slightly doubting he actually wanted something from the shop.

"Getting started would more than adequate," He replied tersely.

Marinette nodded in agreement and brought out her notes. A dense, awkward silence fell between the two of them.

{———}