Art of the Swoon

The sun had not yet risen, which left the large room just light enough to make your way around without slamming one's toe into the furniture. Alina stretched her arms and couldn't help the frown once her hands grazed the cold sheets next to her. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before swinging her feet over the bed. With a quiet yawn, she made her way out of the room and down the hall and made sure to stop and gently open the door to her right to peek inside. Alina smiled as her eyes landed on the small body of a boy who had managed to kick off all of his blankets during the night and his body laying like a star in the middle of the bed. Not wanting him to catch a chill Alina stepped forward and quietly entered the room and carefully lifted the blankets around the boy. Alina sat on the bed and she couldn't help the smile on her lips as she reached forward and brushed his black curls from his eyes. After a moment Alina quietly left the room and continued on her way down the stairs.

Once she reached her destination she wasn't surprised to see Anthony sitting at his desk and quickly writing like he was running out of time. "Is there a reason you are here instead of laying in bed, my love?" She asked moving forward to stand in front of the desk. Anthony looked up to her and his face lit up with a smile and leaned back in his chair, his work going completely forgotten.

"I was just trying to finish up the last of work before we head over to visit Daphne." He said as he motioned for her to come closer. "Someone thought it was a brilliant idea to spend the Christmas holiday out there."

"I believe that was your son. I simply agreed." Anthony chuckled and nodded. It was quiet between them as Anthony looked down at their hands deep in thought. His fingers locked themselves between hers like he did every time he thought about something important. "Your son has seemed to continue the habit of kicking in his sleep as all of his blankets had almost ended up on the floor-"

"Have you ever thought about having more?" He asked not meeting her confused gaze.

"More what? Blankets? I suppose so since the bed gets incredibly cold every time you leave." Anthony chuckled and stood up. Letting go of her fingers, Anthony slid his hands up her arms and as one hand landed on her waist, the other made its way to her neck. Alina leaned into his touch and as he leaned forward and began to kiss her neck she couldn't help but feel her cheeks begin to heat.

"More children, darling." He whispered, sending chills down her spine.

"I um...well yes." She muttered.

"Do you know what Edmund had asked me for Christmas?" He asked as he continued to kiss down her neck. Alina simply shook her head.

"A little brother."

Alina jolted awake and quickly sat up slightly gasping. It took her a few seconds to come to her senses and as she looked over to where Anthony peacefully slept, the realness of the dream still stuck in her mind. "...well that's new."

Dearest gentle reader,

It is often said that those that marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton. Who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her diliberationa, but I would venture a different conjecture that she, like this author, is still waiting for the only suitor of note.

The weeks had gone by and unfortunately Alina was coming to terms that she wouldn't be able to hide her pregnancy much longer as Marie stood behind her having difficulty closing the dress behind her. "My lady, I am afraid that we will have to make a visit to the modiste soon enough to get you some new dresses made." Marie said once she finally tied the dress in place. Alina huffed slightly at the tightness in her chest.