Chapter Three

"What?" Louis asked, startled. "What do you mean, 'you saved me'? What does that have to do with you losing your wings?"

Harry sighed, looking exhausted, "I saved you, Lou. Last night, I saved you when I wasn't suppose to. I shouldn't have been there. I shouldn't have stopped those men from beating you and leaving you for dead."

"Why?" Louis mumbled, puzzled with the response. "Isn't that what angels are supposed to do? Protect people?"

Harry looked up at him, eyes beginning to well, "I thought so. It's like what you see in nature, Lou. Some are meant to die, and some are meant to live. It's what creates a balance in the universe. Good and Evil, Heaven and Hell, rich and poor, it's all about balance. Same thing applies in the Kingdom of God as well. We can only save so many, and others we have to let go."

Louis gulped, "It sort of makes sense, I guess." It explained the reason why his prayers were left unanswered as his loving grandfather laid on his deathbed. It explained why no one was there to listen as Louis prayed for the mean children at school to stop picking on him. To stop making him cry and punching him for no apparent reason. Yes, it explained a lot of things.

"Last night, Louis. . . Last night you were supposed to die. It was already decided in your fate that you wouldn't live to see your 22nd birthday. Tonight, death had been literally over your shoulder, counting down the seconds of your time here on earth. With what lay ahead, there was no way you would've made it," Harry explained, his voice becoming more rasp as he supressed the need to cry.

"Then why?" Louis sniffled, letting the stupid tears roll down his face. He was just told that he should've been dead by now. He figured he could let some of his dignity deter for the moment.

"Why what?" Harry asked lowly, looking up at Louis.

"Why did you save me? Why didn't you just let me die?"

Harry's eyes grew the size of dinner plates, like Louis had just asked the most stupid question he's ever heard. "What?"

"Why did you stop those people from killing me? Why did you risk your wings just to save me? What's so special about me?"

Harry raked his fingers in his hair, tugging at the roots, "Argh, it's difficult to explain. It's just- I couldn't watch you die, Louis. You're so young and full of life. You've got a whole life ahead of you, and you've got this aura around you that burns bright as the sun. I can see it; it burns indefinitely and strong. An aura like that deserves a second chance at life, because it only accomplish things that are good."

"You must be mistaken then. The only things that I've accomplished is getting my family to hate me and blowing most of my income on drugs from homicidal drug dealers," Louis replied. "Maybe I should have died."

Harry shook his head fiercely, tears springing to his eyes, "No. Stop."

"Well, it's true. I'm no good-," Louis pressed.

"No, no, no, no! Just stop it okay Louis? Don't talk about yourself like that. NO!" Harry exclaimed, throwing himself into a hacking fit. Louis rushed to him and began patting his back, coaxing the coughs to stop. "Ok," Louis finally agreed, "Ok. I won't talk about myself in that way. Jeez, no need to freak out."

Harry coughed out, "Water."

Louis practically ran to the cupboard and filled it with the cold tap. He speedily reached Harry and handed him the water. He took the drink with earnest, downing the cup in less than ten seconds.

"So that night, the night you found me, how did you-?" Louis asked, taking the empty cup from Harry and placing it on the nightstand. Harry shuffled into the covers and briefly closed his eyes, "I followed you."