13 - The Day Everything Changed

I returned home with a plan in mind. My theory that Coach MacGregor was the Valentine Stalker was given legs when Laurel did some digging after school. She snuck into his office while he was out and found horrifying images of him defiling his victims. He had saved them on his computer which he left open. Ms. Hampford and Emily Edwards didn't die without a struggle, and from what Laurel described, it was a painful struggle.

That raised the question of why Nurse Powell had to die. I theorized that maybe that night he had tried to kill Ms. Hampford, but Nurse Powell found him out before then. It was the most likely cause.

We formed a plan to finally catch him in the act, but not every detail was given to me. Laurel carefully omitted the fact that I was the bait until it was too late.

'He's attracted to you,' she said, looking through my closet. She had forced me to strip down to my underwear. 'I think he secretly always has. He wants to repress the fact that he has the hots for a minor so he kills and feasts on adult women to feel in power.'

'So why do we want to give him what he wants?'

'If he acts, we'll know it's him. If he doesn't, we're back to the drawing board.'

For his sake, I hoped he wouldn't act. I didn't want to accept that a teacher I had known since high school began was a secret serial killing vampire pedophile. It's not a problem that comes up often.

'How about this?' Laurel took out the yellow shoulder-less floral dress Aunt Jenny had bought me. 'You'll look super-hot in it.'

I sighed. 'Fine. Remember to bring me a change of clothes this time. If things get bloody, I don't want to wear more of your hand-me-downs.'

'If MacGregor is the killer, he won't be able to resist you. If he acts, I'll come in before he touches you. Don't worry. All you have to do is stand there and look pretty.'

I reluctantly put on the dress. It fit nicely and made my body look extremely feminine. Next, Laurel gave me a pair of white sandal heels and did my makeup, soft pink lips, large doll eyes. This time she gave me false nails to wear, French Tips, and a necklace, to complete the girly look. By the end, I had transformed back into Evelyn Laurent.