(20) Family Meeting

Oliver Norris

Oliver Norris

I had received an early call from my brother, Lando, telling us that he was already coming to us one week before the Silverstone British Grand Prix as he wanted to see us and introduce us to someone, hopefully his girlfriend.

Mom was quite excited to see her child after almost four months without seeing him and living together as a complete family. Likewise, he would be at his house and would come to my parents' house, our old home, to have a family lunch with everyone, including my sisters.

It was somewhat complicated to have this type of meeting in months like this when everyone was working, so my mother appreciated it very much when Lando was free and the six of us could be together.

He found me walking into my parents' house with Savannah, my girlfriend, hoping I wasn't too late after being in traffic for over an hour. The queues in Bristol could become somewhat heavy and tedious at peak times and since we had been invited for lunch, the time was specific to the influx of vehicles.

The smell of roast meat came to me and I saw my wife's face of satisfaction when her nose also perceived it, the cravings she was having during pregnancy. It was more than perfect that I saw her like this because I knew she would eat with pleasure for her and our baby.

We entered the terrace and Lando was cooking with dad, I went over to greet them and I imagined that mom was in the kitchen so Savanna went there, "Hey guys," I squeezed their hands and put on an apron to help them.

"I'm really surprised that Lando is on the grill," I joked with dad, since my brother wasn't much of a cook, he usually burned everything. "Besides, why do you wear latex gloves?"

"During this time I've learned a bit," he told me as he flipped a piece of sausage. "And I use them to protect the food, it's hygiene in the kitchen, silly," he said seriously.

"Did you take classes?" I continued to tease him and Dad just laughed.

"Yes, I have a great teacher" he directed his gaze with a huge smile to where mom came from with my sisters, my girlfriend and one more girl.

"Is that her?" I was curious to see someone else in the house that wasn't some friend of Flo or Cisca.

"Yes, this is Amélie, a friend of mine" he introduced me to his special companion.

The girls came to the table and served what was a risotto, cooked vegetables, apple pie and a pitcher of lemonade to accompany the main course. I approached to greet everyone and left my brother's guest last.

"Oliver, Lando's older brother," I introduced myself before leaving a kiss on her cheek as a greeting.

"Nice to meet you Oliver, I'm Amélie" she also left a kiss on my cheek. After that we all sat down at the big table and finally ate what dad and Lando prepared.