Part 1: "To Catch A Thief"

"Stop, thief!"

The cry rang across the castle courtyard. Arthur broke off in the middle of discussing a matter with Sir Leon just in time to see a short, ragged figure spur a horse from the stables, obviously bearing something valuable. A guard reached the stable gate by the time the little man and the horse slipped through the closing gate on the far side.

Arthur stopped the man as Merlin approached.

"What happened?" Arthur asked the soldier.

"I was patrolling the halls below, near the stables," the man reported. "I heard a strange noise near one of the horses, and that man emerged."

"There was a man in the stables and you called him a thief?" Merlin queried.

"No," the soldier responded, "I saw he carried a golden treasure of some kind, with a large white gem," he explained. "Then I called him a thief."

"Do we know whom he stole from?"

"Your Highness!" Sir Elyan called as he joined the group, "I believe this message will help." He produced a scroll. "Gaius found it on the table in the great hall."

Arthur accepted the scroll and broke the seal. He surveyed the letter. When he finished, he eyed Elyan suspiciously. "Any idea who left this?"

"Doesn't it say who it's from?" Merlin asked, glancing at the strange device on the letter.

Arthur frowned, "He merely calls himself the Guardian of the realm, and the thing that was stolen is vital to their kingdom's security." His eyes glinted as he glanced up at the knights gathered around him. "It's up to us to get it back."

Leon stepped forward. "We'd better get started before he reaches the border."

"Get our horses," Arthur told the soldier who had sighted the thief.

The man bowed, "Yes, Milord."

Ten minutes later, Arthur and his knights rode out from the city, following the trail of the small, spry thief. Six miles into the Forest of Gillon, they finally caught sight of the little man on the horse. Arthur reined in his horse to regroup and strategize.
"Elyan, Gwaine, and Percival, you will take the right, and Leon and I will take the left." It was unspoken and taken for granted that Merlin would go with Arthur. The knights nodded and set off in pursuit.

Arthur led his group, and Merlin hovered close behind.

"Don't lose sight of him," Arthur cautioned.

Merlin smiled; the idea had never entered his mind.

Arthur and Merlin soon overtook the man, and headed him off. The horse reared, sending the man tumbling, and his satchel flying. Merlin swung off his horse and caught the man by the collar as Arthur went for the satchel. Only then did the warlock notice that Sir Leon and the other knights were nowhere to be seen.

"All right, you blackguard," Arthur strode over to him, pulling a white gem as big as his hand from the dingy satchel. "What can you tell us about how you came by this?"

The dirty little man only leered. His strange black eyes twinkled. Merlin sensed something different about him. The stranger, in answer, began to mutter under his breath. Merlin realized in alarm that he was casting a spell! He dropped the man's collar and dove toward the king.

"Look out!"

A massive rush of wind blasted around them. When Arthur and Merlin opened their eyes, they stood in the middle of a field. Somehow, night had fallen—and there were strange growls coming from all around them.

Arthur drew his sword and pulled Merlin close behind him.

"Stay behind me," he barked, as their assailants came into view. Arthur squinted, "What the—"

The creatures swarming toward them were unlike anything they had ever encountered. The squat creatures had motley green-brown skin and bulbous yellow eyes, a bit like scaly, oversized frogs. Many of them carried clubs, torches, and small, needle-like rapiers. They bared their fangs viciously as they charged toward the pair.

Master and servant stood back to back as Arthur swiped and slashed at any creature that got within arm's reach. The horde surged right past them, evidently intent on some target beyond them. Arthur and Merlin turned around as a living, moving mass of light blossomed out of the woods behind them and washed over the enemies. They stood, stunned, as the light divided into smaller points and enveloped the frog-like goblins.

"Fairies," Merlin gasped under his breath.

The goblins still emerged from the shadows. Arthur's wits returned to him, and he began engaging the goblins with his sword. Merlin moved away from Arthur and stared carefully at the mass of creatures. Concentrating hard, he muttered a repelling spell under his breath.

Nothing happened. Merlin tried a striking spell; still, his words seemed to have no effect on the goblins. In fact, his actions and his lack of a weapon had now attracted the attention of a gang of goblins, who fairly climbed over the top of each other to get to him. Merlin frantically looked around and got his hands on a sturdy fallen branch. He swung at the goblins, lucky that it did not take much effort to topple them, because he had used magic so often, he was not much used to actual physical combat, particularly not against thick, heavy creatures like these goblins!

Fairies flew about, inadvertently confusing their human allies as they swarmed over the goblins. Merlin looked over and saw that Arthur was now attempting to fight with his left hand. His right arm hung uselessly at his side. The manservant brained a few more goblins before a sharp pain erupted in his leg. He looked down at a fresh cut just above his knee. He couldn't move his leg. Another goblin nicked his wrist, and the branch dropped from his hand. Merlin could do little beyond throwing his arms over his head to stop the blow from a goblin's club that knocked him senseless.