Part 4: "The Red-Horned Unicorn"

"—and I was completely paralyzed until just before you found me," Merlin finished.

Lily had listened patiently as Merlin took the better part of an hour to explain the history of his adventure thus far.

"So where do you suppose Arthur is now?" Lily asked.

Merlin's shoulders sagged. "I don't know," he admitted as a cold weight settled over his chest. "I could not discern if he was still in the forest when the gryphon carried me away. I have no idea if some fearsome beast carried him away, or perhaps he managed to escape the forest, or perhaps he was gone when I revived, and returned after I was gone—"

"Merlin," Lily nudged him with her finger, "stop. Worrying and chiding yourself will do nothing to find your friend. Besides, you have other matters to contend with. You said before that the thief had two items that you and Arthur retrieved?"

"Yes; Arthur found the large white gem, and I ended up with this chain," Merlin lifted it to show her.

Lily gasped. "Keep it hidden!" she hissed at him.

Merlin hastily tucked the chain back under his collar. "Why?" he asked.

"The Chain is the most powerful bit of enchantment in this world. No one knows where its power comes from, but it has protected Phantasm for many lifetimes. Together with the gyth—that's the gem your friend has—it forms the Phantasmagyth, worn and guarded by the red-horned unicorn," she hesitated, "until recently."

"What happened?" Merlin asked.

Lily shuddered and lowered her hand to the ground so Merlin could sit on a rock at her eye level.

"The wizard came," she whispered ominously.

Merlin recalled his own lack of power. "How could a wizard do magic here?" he asked. "I am a warlock in my world, but I have no power here."

Lily huffed, "Interesting; perhaps because you only know the magic of your world. It is said that the wizard knows Phantasmian magic. That is how he was able to summon the Underworlders."

"Underworlders? You mean the goblins?"

"Yes, and there are others," Lily confirmed. "Normally, they are trapped under the surface of Phantasm, in their own realm, with no way to reach the surface. Only a certain magic spell can summon them to the surface. When the spell is invoked, the Phantasmagyth loses its power, and the red-horned unicorn is easily caught and—"

She hesitated, so Merlin guessed, "Killed?"

Lily shook her head, "No; killing it would curse the whole world to eternal turmoil. Not even a malevolent wizard would be that foolish. Typically the Unicorn is imprisoned while the Phantasmagyth is taken from him. The removal of the Phantasmagyth opens portals into other worlds; the fabric of time and space is rendered unstable. The fact that the two halves of the Phantasmagyth ended up in your world means that whoever had it must have taken it from the wizard—unless he was the one to overpower the unicorn himself." She looked down at Merlin, who stood and was pacing, deep in thought.

"The thief—you say there are no humans here?" He murmured to himself, "Yet I could have sworn he was one...only there was something strange about the eyes."

"Could it have been a troll?" Lily offered.

Merlin paused to consider this; the thief's appearance certainly did not match that of any trolls he'd seen; perhaps they looked a bit different in this world. Their behavior was still very much the same! "Likely so," he agreed.

"Great, so what you're saying is, a troll overpowered the unicorn and stole the Phantasmagyth, escaping through a portal into your world."

"Arthur and I chase him into the woods, where he casts the spell to send us back," Merlin contributed.

Lily snorted, "Ha! Troll magic is not that powerful; he probably just knew when and where the portal would be, and started muttering what you assumed was a curse to frighten you."

"So now what do I have to do?" Merlin stopped and looked up at the giantess. "Find Arthur, find a portal, and go back?"

"It's not that simple, Merlin," Lily said. "Now that both halves of the Phantasmagyth have returned to Phantasm, the portals are all closed. The Phantasmagyth must be restored to open them again, so you can return home."

Merlin sighed and flopped on the grass. "Well, that's it, then." He looked up at Lily. "We've got to find Arthur before he gives the gyth away or loses it."

Lily laid out her hand, and Merlin stepped into it. "Well, based on what you've told me, Merlin, I think I know where he might be."

Merlin flinched in surprise, "Where?"

"The trolls; they have been running rampant since the rise of the Underworlders. They probably took him like they took my brother."

"Your brother?"

"Yes; they keep him locked up in the Troll Castle."

"Wait a minute," Merlin spluttered, "if you know where your brother is, why haven't you rescued him before now?"

Lily scowled, "It's not like I haven't tried! Troll Castle is protected by the very strongest troll magic in existence. I can't get anywhere near the place; the only creatures here who might have a chance are the dwarves, and they are far too greedy for the trolls' gold and favors to risk crossing them." She smiled, "That is, until you came. As long as you're reasonably sized like a troll, you should be able to pass through the barrier unharmed."

Merlin nodded, grinning in spite of himself. "I've always wanted to storm a castle."

Lily glanced at the setting sun. "We won't be able to get there before nightfall. Looks like you'll be spending the night here."

Merlin shrugged, "Oh, it will be all right; I think Kharrah and I are on good terms now."

Lily helped Merlin down to the overhang. He saw that the gryphon had already prepared him a miniature nest of his own. "Goodnight, Lily."

"Goodnight, Merlin; I'll wake you at first light."